blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
    You are here: Forum Archive

blank.gif
Forum Archive
blank.gif
2005 Forum Threads

All forum threads posted between 2002 and 2013 have now been removed from the original forum (message board) and archived under their original entry title.

It is not possible to post a direct response to these entries but you can use the contact page to post a message, which can then be added to an archived entry.

You can of course begin a new thread at any time by posting to the current forum.

View or post to the current forum

2005 entries
Please be aware contact e-mail addresses of some entries may no longer be valid.

01) Margot Brummer - 1 reply.
02) Vange - Mapleford Sweep - 2 replies.
03) The Old Fortune of War, Laindon - 4 replies.
04) Kingswood School
05) Bob Beaney
06) Laindon High Road Secondary School
07) York Borg Warner - Old Friends
08) Pembrokes Printing
09) TB Sanatorium Langdon Hills - 3 replies.
10) Nicholas School
11) Unusual grave at St. Michael's Church, Pitsea - 5 replies.
12) Strange gravestone at St. Michael's Church, Pitsea - 4 replies.
13) Local newspapers in Pitsea in the 1800s - 1 reply.
14) Save Brooke House - 1 reply.
15) Depeche Mode Fans
16) Basildon Hall - 3 replies.
17) Martins Ice Cream Vans/Mobile Shops - 6 replies.
18) Trindehay + Old Bungalow in Lee Chapel North - 5 replies.
19) Pitsea Market Domes - 2 replies.
20) Vange Well and Gloucester Park Lake - 5 replies.
blank.gif
1.  Margot Brummer
Posted by Robin Lockhart Email User on 10/1/2005, 10:49 pm
Anybody know the whereabouts of Margot Brummer, she used to hang around with Basildon Spooks Scooter Club and Basildon Youth Assoc in the early 60's.

Re: Margot Brummer
Posted by Colin Ferrier Email User on 15/9/2006, 11:48 pm
Robin, vaguely remember Margot. Remember you and Dawn very well. Spooks was a long time ago. Can you get in touch?

2.  Vange - Mapleford Sweep
Posted by Lee Email User on 12/1/2005, 10:57 pm
Does any one have any historical information on Vange? I have seen a lot of strange goings on in a friends house. Any information on what used to be there or facts would be a great mind settler, mainly Mapleford Sweep area. Many thanks to all that can help.

Re: Vange - Mapleford Sweep
Posted by Sally Email User on 4/4/2005, 5:03 pm
Dear Lee
I lived in Mapleford Sweep (top of the hill Vange Hill Drive end) from 1981 - 1986. We were very comfortable there with no strange events. I never felt unsettled at all - if that is any help. However, I believe there may be barrows (ancient burial sites) in that area but these covered quite a vast area of southern Britain in Saxon times.

Re: Vange - Mapleford Sweep
Posted by John Matthews Email User on 16/6/2005, 8:45 am
Where do you believe these barrows were?
What reason do you have for believing there was a barrow in Vange?
Does anyone else have any information about barrows in Vange?
Any help will be appreciated.
John Matthews

3.  The Old Fortune of War, Laindon
Posted by Terri Email User on 31/1/2005, 9:41 pm
I'm trying to find out the history and people of the OLD FORTUNE OF WAR INN. It was on Wash Road, Laindon and is now a printers.
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: The Old Fortune of War, Laindon
Posted by Phil Wingfield Email User on 18/3/2005, 8:14 am
Hi
I don't know a great deal about it other than the name of the place came about from a small skirmish fought on or near the site during the civil war. Maybe the place was built to commemorate the fight. A couple of years ago I dug up a musket ball in my back garden in Noak Bridge and I like to think it may have been fired in anger in this fight, probably not but I'll never know. The building still has it's wall plaque but it is hidden behind the printers sign.

Posted by Jeff Davies Email User on 11/1/2006, 9:43 pm
My father leased the garage next door from Frenchy the farmer; he lived in the first farm on the left as you go up Wash Road from Noak Hill Road. My father worked the garage for aprox 20 years it was called Kens Autos. It was built I believe for horses to do with the inn the Fortune of War. When I was a boy I can remember an old lady who lived there, her name was Mrs Fist, a nice old lady. After she died a chap called Chris Yeoman's turned it into a printers. Suddenly a fire broke out then the present owner took it over, his name is Bob Knight. It's said to be haunted by old Mr Fist.
Hope I've been of some help.

Posted by Chris Yeomans Email User on 24/4/2006, 3:02 pm
Either just before or just after the War it was a Necktie manufacturers up until about 1967. In 1970 it was converted to a Printers. The Printers were taken over by a large Insurance Brokers in 1976 it was after the Insurance Brokers took over Yeomans Printers the fire happened. As for Chris Yeomans I am alive and well semi retired and dividing my time between Westcliff in the summer, Savannah USA and Guyana South America in the winter.

Posted by Jan Petty (nee Markin) Email User on 29/8/2007, 11:06 am
Hi Terri, I have just found out about this site and so my reply to your message is probably too late.
I have a book called "Basildon a pictorial History" by Jessie Payne, in it, it mentions "The Old Fortune of War." It is said to be founded by a soldier returning from the Napoleonic war. When he visited the site there was a local Fair on a field nearby known as Fortune Fair. Hence the name.
Regards to anyone out there who might remember Janet Markin or Jeff Petty

4.  Kingswood School
Posted by Helen Email User on 17/2/2005, 1:45 pm
Hi
Does anyone have a picture of Kingswood School as I used to go there?
Regards
Helen

5.  Bob Beaney
Posted by Heather Smith nee Beaney Email User on 7/3/2005, 7:35 pm
Does anybody remember bob beaney who was a county counsellor in about 1948/9 and mrs beaney who lived in margaret avenue on the plotlands
heather smith

6.  Laindon High Road Secondary School
Posted by Isabel Smith [nee Beaney] Email User on 28/3/2005, 4:10 pm
Does anyone remember the 4x & 5x class 1956/57 or before? Also friends who I knew from that era: i.e. Pat Card or Wendy Darke. Would luv to hear any news. I now live in South Africa

7.  York Borg Warner - Old Friends
Posted by Dave Merchant Email User on 25/4/2005, 4:50 pm
As a sixteen year old in 1969 the company i worked for in Bristol sent me to York Borg Warner in Basildon to spend a year in their apprentice training school. I made many friends during this time and would like to make contact again. The friends i remember were Richard LLewellen (spelling probably wrong) (lived in Laindon) Terance Knott, Steve Gladwin (lived Whitmore way).

8.  Pembrokes Printing
Posted by Dawn Lee Email User on 7/5/2005, 7:28 am
Anyone remember me?

9.  TB Sanatorium Langdon Hills
Posted by Ron Email User on 28/7/2005, 7:08 pm
I am given to understand that during the 1940's & 50's The County Borough of West Ham opened in the Langdon Hills Area a Sanatorium for Tuberculosis sufferers.
Does anybody know where this was?

Re: TB Sanatorium Langdon Hills
Posted by Andy Wright Email User on 28/8/2005, 12:02 pm
Comming from langdon hills high road it was situated on right hand side half way down dry street langdon hills, building still standing, closed early in 1950s now privately owned dog kennels

Posted by Ray Beer Email User on 5/3/2006, 4:17 pm
Does anybody have any old photos of this hospital as I would like them to jog my memory as I was there in 1948-1950?

Posted by Denise Email User on 16/5/2006, 12:01 pm
There are photos and memories of staff in a few of the basildon history books

10.  Nicholas School
Posted by Rick Price Email User on 7/8/2005, 3:39 am
Hello my name is richard price i left st nic in 1971. i moved to new zealand in 1972 i came back for a visit last august could not beleive the changes to basildon and the old school i also went to janet juke i remember mrs eagling from j duke and mr goldbourne HISTORY TEACHER AT ST NICKS is there anyone out there that was at those schools same time as me?

11.  Unusual grave at St. Michael's Church, Pitsea
Posted by Lee Email User on 9/9/2005, 12:24 am
I need some help to trace the history behind an unusual epitaph in the graveyard of st michael's church pitsea. The grave belonged to Ann Freeman born 30/3/1837 died 20/3/1879. Here lies a weak and sinful worm, the vilest of her race, saved through gods electing love, his free and sovereign grace. I'm sure you will agree this is most unusual, so any help given will be much appreciated. thanks, lee

Re: Unusual grave at St. Michael's Church, Pitsea
Posted by Paula Email User on 28/11/2006, 7:01 pm
Hello i have also been looking into this grave but with no luck
The records for the old church are held at St. Gabriels who i contacted but they know nothing and sent us to the records office in Chelmsford which is a hard place to work in we found the fathers death certifacte but not Anns or any of the other family in the same tomb!! please contact me if you have found anymore out as my search continues! Feel free to mail me at lemmyred@yahoo.co.uk maybe we could join forces in our search for truth?
look forward to hearing from you
paula (sorry about my spelling no spell check on here!)

Posted by Lee Harlow Email User on 16/1/2007, 8:58 am
If you look in the book called "Basildon a history and celebration" it states that the grave is about the victims of the kynochs tragedy in 1913 when three employees of an explosive factory were killed in an accident.

Posted by Louise on 10/2/2007, 1:05 pm
Lee, why would an event in 1913 be linked to someone burried in the 1870's?

Posted by Clair Email User on 4/5/2007, 6:13 pm
Hi everybody. I have also been interested in this grave since i was a child. today i made a phone call to answers direct who are based at the records office. Anne has been located on the 1851 census, she was working as a servent for a piano maker in paddington at the age of 14. As for the inscription, it has links to a pergatory of suicide poem, but i dont know how much relavence this has. i have ordered a copy of her death certificate and will post my findings.

Posted by Lisa Email User on 28/8/2008, 10:19 pm
Hi there i have been reading all of your messages. As a child we always went up to that church and we have always been told it was the grave of a witch. i would be interested to find out if this was true. i havent seen this grave for a very long time, she must have done something bad to have them awful words written on her grave stone.

12.  Strange gravestone at St. Michael's Church, Pitsea
Posted by Lee Email User on 9/9/2005, 11:30 am
Hello. i need some help to trace the history of an unusual grave inscription @ st michaels church pitsea. the grave is @ the foot of the tower and the epitaph is as follows: anne freeman. 20th march 1837 - 30th march 1879. The verse then reads: here lies a weak and sinful worm, the vilest of her race, saved through gods electing love, his free and sovreign grace. So, if anyone can help please email me. thanks, lee.

Re: Strange gravestone at St. Michael's Church, Pitsea
Posted by Teresa Email User on 29/3/2006, 9:57 pm
Hi i was just wondering if you got any more information on this grave my grandparents lived on the mount in the 80s and i have always wondered what the poor woman must have done in life to deserve such a bad message.
thanks teresa

Posted by Margaret Email User on 16/4/2006, 8:56 pm
My mother always used to say, "what sort of a husband would put that on a wife's grave". Maybe he wasn't so good himself

Posted by Kelly Email User on 6/6/2006, 5:51 pm
Hello I was interested in your message, and have been to this church but never noticed this gravestone. I will be sure to look now though. As the bug has been passed on and I am now curious myself to find out what anne had done to upset people. I started to look on google, it took a while and I dont know if these people can help, but I have found a web page of a family tree and anne is in it. There is an email address in the page that is family@bradshaw32.plus.com hope this will help you. Please let us know if you find anything else.
p.s. the link is below.
Link: https://www.bradshaw32.plus.com/family/00000400.htm

Posted by Matt Email User on 28/7/2007, 11:47 pm
Hello just wondering if u have found out ann's grave, me and my friend has been visters to the church for 20 years and have no idea about the grave, i would like it if you could get back to me

13.  Local newspapers in Pitsea in the 1800s
Posted by Lee Email User on 10/9/2005, 10:20 pm
Can anyone help me by telling me the name of pitsea's local paper in the 1800s? any help would be most appreciated. thanks. lee

Re: Local newspapers in Pitsea in the 1800s
Posted by Clair Email User on 18/7/2007, 11:40 pm
I think the Essex Chronical may help you.

14.  Save Brooke House
Posted by Simon Amor Email User on 23/9/2005, 11:24 pm
Save brooke house from demolishment its been in basildon for years its part of the family help stop anything happening to Brooke House

Re: Save Brooke House
Posted by Chris Yeomans Email User on 9/10/2006, 2:21 pm
I agree it would be interesting to get a list of people who lived there over the years and their comments

15.  Depeche Mode Fans
Posted by Steven Email User on 4/10/2005, 3:39 pm
Hi i was born and still am living in basildon and have noticed a lot of people on here have taken a interest to the town because of the band. Well it's not a bad place to live but it's not exactly the most exciting place in the world either. Just wanted to tell you that lol although if you have any questions then just e-mail me.

16.  Basildon Hall
Posted by Kaye on 21/10/2005, 3:46 pm
I found a reference to a "Basildon Hall" but could not find any information about it on this site. I am interested in knowing the history of this estate. Also, does anyone know where or if the former Park Avenue street exists? It is listed in the former streets section. Thanks

Re: Basildon Hall
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 22/10/2005, 10:30 pm
Kaye, try Basildon maps pre New Town on this website. Good Luck.
Brian

Posted by Gary Email User on 3/9/2006, 12:04 pm
There's a pic of the house in 1 of the basildon books

Posted by GB Email User on 30/10/2006, 2:14 pm
As I recall there was a road running from the top of Clay hill northwards. When I was a boy , fifty years ago, it was called Claremont Road. I was there last week and a path runs down the side of where it lay and is called Puck Lane. After it crossed the railway line there was a farm called Basildon Hall. Any help?
Regards

17.  Martins Ice Cream Vans/Mobile Shops
Posted by Paul Email User on 22/10/2005, 5:28 pm
Who remembers the martins mobile shops that used to tour basildon in the seventies & eighties? You could set your watch by them. that tune "the harry lime theme" from the third man. had lots of burger bars around the town as well, (raquels,time etc~). remember diamonds resturant in market pavement, opened by vince clarke & alison moyet.

Re: Martins Ice Cream Vans/Mobile Shops
Posted by Tony Dow Email User on 11/2/2006, 10:57 am
Yes I remember martins ice cream vans & diamonds. I've got loads of Photos of that lot.
Tony Dow

Posted by Paul Email User on 17/2/2006, 2:46 pm
Hi tony, is that the market tony who had the burger bar in the 1970`s???? e must have made you a fortune the amount of burgers & hot dogs we ate. how about sharing your pics with us on this site, regards little paul, laindon.

Posted by Tony Dow Email User on 13/3/2006, 10:45 pm
HI there paul
yes i will get the photos together and get them posted, plenty of memories. td

Posted by Paul Email User on 29/3/2006, 2:17 pm
Dear mr dow (tony), have you found the photographs yet sir? p.s happy belated ?!!~~? birthday. regards little paul.

Posted by Mick Campbell Email User on 31/7/2006, 10:10 pm
Hi Tony remember the early days back of Laindon Station me you and Dave Clarke?
Our battles with Bastiani and Fella Bros in Hornchurch. Our fall out when I had the Wallis van?
You and Beryl in Tonys tuck shops pre cornwall days! Seems like only yesterday mate!
That bloody window cleaning lark was nearly as hard as the landscaping!!! Lol Take care. Good luck!

Posted by Lynda on 2/5/2008, 6:37 pm
There used to be a Martins van that used come round Woodlands school and Lee Chapel South in the 1970's. The drivers name was Mick and he used to give my Dog an ice cream every day, cos none of the kids would give her a bit of theirs!

18.  Trindehay in Lee Chapel North
Posted by Bridget Email User on 7/11/2005, 6:07 am
Hi can any one tell me if the street Trindehay still exists i still have fond memories as a child 1965/70. i remember it being a semi circle street with a small play area in the middle. i also remember it having a sweetshop at the end of the street. We were the Haslam family (4 girls) and our father was a teacher
Bridget

Re: Trindehay in Lee Chapel North
Posted by James Howard on 13/11/2005, 7:36 pm
Hi, Trindehay still exists on the Lee Chapel North side of the Town Centre. It's a straight cul-de-sac turning off Falstones. There is a row of three-storey houses on the right after the Shepeshall turning. The shop at the end (which also hired out videos) has been demolished but the little play area beyond is still there.

Posted by Bridget on 30/12/2005, 3:15 am
Thanks for that are there houses on both sides of the cul de sac like a semi circle or have some of them been demolished? I have a plan to visit there with my Father

Re: Trindehay + Old Bungalow in Lee Chapel North
Posted by James Howard on 31/12/2005, 12:26 am
It's just as you remember it, houses on each side of the roadway and the square paved area with more houses just beyond where the little shop used to be. I don't know what they plan to put in its place. Do you remember the little bungalow that stood at the top of Falstones hill to the right of the stairs that lead up to Laindon Link? It was demolished in the early 1970s and a small park and pathway was created where it once stood. Before the new Lee Chapel North housing estate was created in the early 1960s, the area had already been quite well developed with bungalows, and a road called Elizabeth Drive, which connected with Northumberland Avenue, ran right through what became Falstones where the bungalow used to be.

Re: Trindehay + Old Bungalow in Lee Chapel North
Posted by Gary Email User on 5/9/2006, 1:40 am
I no where ya mean, re the bungalow but never saw it sadly there was a maybe a similar little house was there few yrs back I hope it still there, or how about the samaritons place in little lullaway bet that's an old original thats still there pass it every week. I like looking for old fragments of past basildon /laindon.

Posted by Glenn Email User on 23/1/2008, 5:00 pm
I lived in the centre path of Falstones halfway along Trindehay between 1966 and 1978. The small park was known locally as the Sandpit. The shop was 'The little shop'

19.  Pitsea Market Domes
Posted by Paul Email User on 25/11/2005, 11:37 am
Great period film about opening of pitsea dome market at www.britishpathe.co.uk. Free to view. Also films about carreras cigerette factory. worth a look.

Re: Pitsea Market Domes
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 3/12/2005, 12:42 am
Paul, thank you for this info as i well remember pitsea market and visited the new one, only a matter of weeks ago. i also remember carreras factory and an aunt who once worked there, died just 2 months or so ago and from cancer.

Re: Pitsea Market Domes
Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 11/12/2005, 8:40 am
Hi paul thanks for the link to britishpathe--the images/films etc certainly brought back memories for me as i spent all of my teenage and early adult years living and working in and around basildon in the 60s.---regards dave o.

20.  Vange Well and Gloucester Park lake - One or two mysteries
Posted by Gary Kent Email User on 21/12/2005, 4:06 pm
One or two mysteries I hope someone can help clear up.
I lived in Basildon in the early 70s and remember that in the woods in Laindon Hills there was a large domed building that had like a well in it. It seemed strange this was in the middle of nowhere. Does any body know if it belonged to a long demolished house? Also, does anybody know anything about the 2 sunken barges/boats in the small square pond in Gloucester Park and how old the pond is? I remember the large Gloucester park lake being dug and this pond was there a long time before this, but doesn't appear on any old maps.
Thanks.

Re: Vange Well and Gloucester Park lake - One or two mysteries
Posted by Spencer Email User on 22/1/2006, 2:04 am
I have lived in Basildon for 45 years, born and bred here. I have no knowledge of the Dome in laindon but I do remember the square lake/pond at Gloucester park otherwise known as Green Hills or Helicopter Hills. As to the sunken boat/barges I will ask my wife who was lived in Roodigate which is right next to the Green hills. I can remember doing noise tests for the council when they were considering making the Green hills into a legal motorcycle track as we were using Bryn and Holy cross as unoficial tracks at the time.

Posted by B.C. on 11/2/2006, 4:25 pm
The Domed building you refer to in your earlier post, is I believe, the former mineral well located close to the One Tree Hill country park at Langdon Hills. Its structure, resembling that of a Greek temple, was once out in the open, but is now amongst trees where its condition is deteriorating all the time. It was built to enclose the last of five wells sunk in that area during the early 1920s as a 'get rich quick scheme' by a London publican, whose surname was ironically Cash. The bottled contents, marketed by the Vange Water Company and labelled Vange Water, were considered to be of great medicinal value, though this was found not to be and the operation folded around 1924. Although named 'Vange Well No.5', it actually stood in the parish of Fobbing, now Thurrock.

Posted by Gary Kent Email User on 11/2/2006, 2:05 pm
Thanks Spencer
I remember the lake at Gloucester Park being dug in the '70s and at the time a lot of live ammunition was found from an old army camp. Does this ring any bells with your wife also?

Posted by Gary Kent on 12/2/2006, 7:47 pm
Dear B C
Thanks very much for the info. I first saw the well over 30 years ago and have always wondered what it was. At the time the well was open and full of water and debris and looked very deep and frightening. Thanks once again.

Posted by Spencer on 9/4/2006, 3:05 pm
The wife remembers nothing about the ammunition but she has just told me that her mother used to complain about the motorcycles being ridden over there, so it looks like I upset the mother-in-law years before I even married her daughter!

blank.gif
Page added: 2011
blank.gif
blank.gif
Back a Page Basildon History Forum Basildon History Forum Archive Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM