blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
    You are here: Forum Archive

blank.gif
Forum Archive
blank.gif
2006 Forum Threads - January to June

All forum threads posted between 2002 and 2013 have now been removed from the original forum (message board) and archived under their original entry title.

It is not possible to post a direct response to these entries but you can use the contact page to post a message, which can then be added to an archived entry.

You can of course begin a new thread at any time by posting to the current forum.

View or post to the current forum

2006 entries
Click here for July - December entries.
Please be aware contact e-mail addresses of some entries may no longer be valid.

01) Pitsea 1942
02) Pound Lane Post Office - 2 replies.
03) Old motorcycles in Pound Lane area of North Benfleet - 3 replies.
04) Pitsea Northlands Willow Pond - 4 replies.
05) Local soccer information
06) Kimberley Road, Laindon - 1 reply.
07) Dicky Birds and Tonibell's ice cream vans - 8 replies.
08) House called Onclayd in Salisbury Avenue, Langdon Hills
09) Tonibell - 6 replies.
10) Basildon Hall - 2 replies.
11) Arthur Willis of Laindon
12) Bastiani ice cream van - 6 replies.
13) Rectory Road, Pitsea - 7 replies.
14) Pitsea School - 6 replies.
15) Co-op milk depot, Bluehouses, Basildon
16) Reunion - 1 reply.
17) Locarno (Mecca) Ballroom - 12 replies.
18) Campbell's Motor Services of Pitsea - 4 replies.
19) Old Tom buses of Laindon
20) Vange boot sale field - 1 reply.
blank.gif
1.  Pitsea 1942
Posted by Patricia Email User on 8/1/2006, 9:07 pm
I was born in my grandparents bungalow in trenham ave pitsea during ww11. it was all fields then, no street lighing, no running water gas or electric in the bunglow. my mother took me back to east london, age 3, but always went back to stay with my gran for 3 months every year. those years were the happiest of my life. no child today could have the freedom i had.

2.  Pound Lane Post Office
Posted by Gary Kent Email User on 15/2/2006, 8:11 am
Does anyone have any info. on the Post Office that used to be in a cottage on the corner of Pound Lane.
I am trying to trace my family tree and a distant relative of mine ran the post office with her husband. Her name was Martha Silva. All I know is that she delivered the post on her push bike to the houses and farms around Basildon before the war in the 1930's or possibly in the War. Her husband used to be a baker and roasted the chickens and turkeys for the locals in his oven for a small fee. Unfortunatly I do not know his name.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Pound Lane Post Office
Posted by Ellen Email User on 30/12/2007, 6:56 pm
Gary I hope you still check this board, as unfortunately I have only just seen this message. I have also e mailed you with regards to this thread.

During the Second World War my Father was evacuated to Pitsea from London, to stay with his Uncle Stanley and Aunt Martha and apparently Aunt Martha was the Post Lady.

More Details included in the e mail, I hope to hear from you soon

Re: Pound Lane Post Office
Posted by Gary Email User on 1/1/2008, 3:18 pm
Ellen, thanks for your mail. Please check your email. Best wishes.

3.  Old motorcycles in Pound Lane area of North Benfleet
Posted by Paul Email User on 17/2/2006, 4:19 pm
In the late sixties i used to walk around the pound lane/north benfleet plots. there was an old shed like dwelling, in i think osbourne road or grange road where an ex serviceman used to restore old pre war motorcycles. when he had finished he greased them all over then wrapped & buried them on his large plot. i wonder if they are still there? i had forgotten all about this until someone in basildon market was overheard talking about the same thing last week. was this you.

Re: Old motorcycles in Pound Lane area of North Benfleet
Posted by Spencer on 9/4/2006, 3:01 pm
The guys name was Bob Hayes, he did indeed have old motorcycles and strangely enough he buried them. I suspect they are long gone as he was well known in the area. A friend of mine managed to get him to sell a sidecar he had laying around, other than that the guy was a mystery.

Posted by Gary Email User on 3/9/2006, 12:00 pm
His name was bob. my dad bought some of the bike bits from him, i think was in the 80s sadly me dad died a few years ago. I possibly still have some of the bits.

Posted by Trotter Email User on 29/1/2008, 10:11 pm
I lived around the area and had good memories of Bob. We used to get parts for our motorbike of him when we were kids. Bob got evicted (was a council owned property) and was given a flat in Pitsea. I heard he didn't get on with the way life was and moved to a bit of land he owned in fobbing. that was the last I heard about him

4.  Pitsea Northlands Willow Pond
Posted by Paul Email User on 21/2/2006, 12:48 pm
Spent many a lazy summers day fishing for sticklebacks, newts & salamanders in the 1960`s before the chalvedon estate was built. Pond is still there behind chalvedon community centre but smaller now. also the field opposite the cows pond where we used to ride our mopeds (raleigh runabouts & old mobylettes) & sometimes an old ford car that had been left in the bushes.

Re: Pitsea Northlands Willow Pond
Posted by Alan Email User on 14/9/2006, 7:56 pm
Yes i can say the same great days Old BSA Bikes and minors i also remember the house before it was knocked down do you remember the bike track or was that to late for you? where the lakes are i think ????????

Posted by Paul Email User on 20/9/2006, 3:42 pm
Remember the bike track, oh yes i do!! It was exactly where you said it was. Lots of cars went in the lakes when first filled up. We used to watch them pull out cars every weekend. Used to bunk off school and had a camp opposite cows pond in which we had an old log burner. We were all in there one day when Chalvedons Rural Studies Teacher bought a class of 2nd years out on a ramble, he must of bored the pants off them for 45 mins. We were s**t***g ourselves inside but he never even saw the smoke coming from our chimney. HAPPY DAYS. All changed now. paul.

Posted by Maureen Baxter (nee Ridley) Email User on 30/1/2007, 1:11 am
I have such memories of the Willow Pond in what used to be Lillie Avenue. My grandparents had their self-built bungalow (Cordelia) nearby and I was born there in 1948. It was a truly magical place where my cousins, my brother and I used to play. We used to crawl out on the branch of the tree that overhung the pond to catch the sticklebacks and newts to take home in our jam-jars. I remember too the bullrushes and the dragonflies. This was long before any cycle tracks or new estates - just unmade roads, honeysuckle hedges (I can still smell them when I think of my childhood) and glow-worms in the grass that twinkled in the dark (no street lights then!) It broke my heart when I last saw the Willow Pond, just a grubby little hole in the middle of the Felmores estate - what price progress, eh?

Posted by Memory Man on 31/1/2007, 2:53 pm
Nice to hear about your memories of the old willow pond, however it's behind the chalvedon community centre in the middle of the CHALVEDON ESTATE. Felmores is more to the north these days. Do you remember the other pond in the cows field which was opposite? Happy days.

5.  Local soccer information
Posted by Les Neale Email User on 22/2/2006, 8:27 pm
Anyone out there with info (newspaper reports/photos,etc) concerning Basildon Minors/Basildon Minor Reserves soccer teams circa 1960/61?
I'd be grateful for any info. Les Neale

6.  Kimberley Road, Laindon
Posted by Michael Harris Email User on 24/2/2006, 10:55 am
I'm seeking info on My Mother's family, The Fox's (Benjamin was my Grandfather, in a house called Winnipeg, in Kimberley Road, off Wash Road 1920 - 1955. Also neighbours, including Cox.

Re: Kimberley Road, Laindon
Posted by Denise Email User on 16/5/2006, 11:50 am
This road, with names mentioned are in the 1949 onwards electoral roll.

7.  Dicky Birds and Tonibell's ice cream vans
Posted by Carlos Email User on 25/2/2006, 2:24 pm
Does anyone have any photos of dicky birds/tonis/tonibell ice cream vans in the 1950's/1960's. i think they were based in wickford, basildon & on the a127 at laindon? any information would be welcome. thank you, carlos.

Re: Dicky Birds and Tonibell's ice cream vans
Posted by Mark G on 27/2/2006, 3:50 pm
Tonibell's depot was in Bowlers Croft off Honeywood Road, in the early 60's.

Posted by George on 27/2/2006, 4:39 pm
In the 1970s Tonibell's depot was in Bentalls off Chester Hall Lane (Pipps Hill industrial estate as it is now), Industrial estate No.2 as it was then.

Posted by Mario Email User on 2/3/2006, 3:26 pm
Tonibell vans used to be parked on the a.127 behind laindon service station, backing on to kings road in the early sixties. mr whippy had an ice cream factory in cranes farm road (was also a yogurt factory later on). tonis were in bowlers croft, tonibell were in bentalls until closing in the 1980s. dicky birds were opposite whitehouse parade in london road, wickford. marios were at corringham & manor trading estate benfleet (walls). lyons maid vans came from ingrebourne & tillingham. regards mario. p.s who remembers bruno's ices?

Posted by Patricia Email User on 2/3/2006, 7:20 pm
I was living in pitsea in the 1960s, my husband worked at tonibells as a mechanic, maintaining the vans.

Posted by Marco Email User on 7/3/2006, 11:08 am
I lived in basildon in the 50's & 60's and remember all the different ice cream vans that toured the area. mr softee, mr whippy, mobelle (had tiny mini vans), franco, dimambros, rossi (southend), rossi of london, walls, lyons maid (leach bros), toni's, tonibell, bruno's, barkers of canvey, lord neilsons, midland counties, dicky birds, valentete, tomassi`s. what a huge amount compared with today. i am 75 now and still remember the kids pestering me & mum everytime a van came round. regards marco diemietri.

Posted by John Email User on 1/4/2006, 7:17 am
Does anyone remember Eldarados ice cream? As a child in the 1950s I remember they came around Pitsea with a container mounted on the front of a bike.

Posted by Maurice Email User on 5/4/2006, 12:11 pm
I don't remember eldorado, but a motorcycle(dot)combination used to visit the plots off rectory road, pitsea in the 40's & 50's. i think it was an italian gentleman. he later got an old morris van with a high top. he could have been german thinking about it. he was based in wickford. hope this helps john.

Posted by Steve Goodchild Email User on 19/9/2007, 4:41 pm
I used to work from the Tonibell yard at Bowlers croft from 1966 to 1972. My round was in Hornchurch and surrounding area. Great days. Manager there was Jimmy Wadilove.

8.  House called Onclayd in Salisbury Avenue, Langdon Hills
Posted by Gail Email User on 27/2/2006, 7:04 pm
Hello,
I am trying to find out ANYTHING about a house and it's residents, called Onclayd".
What I already know is that it was on Salisbury Ave. in Langdon Hills and torn down in the 60's. The street is no longer there either - it is now Mandeville Way. My grandparents, Charles and Elsie Stevens, were there at least until 1949/50.
My Dad, Raymond, (along with his brother Alan and sister Wendy) were there in the 30s/40s. I believe that the name ONCLAYD is a play on the last name of Claydon.
So that's what I know. Can anyone else remember or find out anything more? I appreciate the help. PMs welcome.
Warmest regards,
Gail

9.  Tonibell
Posted by Patricia Email User on 7/3/2006, 12:01 am
Does anyone one remember a big bloke they called TINY, who was gov in Tonibells in the 1960s?

Re: Tonibell
Posted by Tony Dow Email User on 13/3/2006, 10:51 pm
Yes I remember tiny, he was the manager for a time.
As far as I can remember he was a barnardo's boy the same as the boss of tonibell, a very good friend of mine George Le gresley.

Posted by Patricia Email User on 16/3/2006, 8:35 pm
THANKS FOR REPLY TONY.
DO YOU KNOW IF HE IS STILL AROUND?
PATRICIA

Posted by Tony Dow Email User on 19/3/2006, 10:52 pm
Hello pat
sadly no is still not around he died a number of years ago i can't remember how now but i think it was a heart attack but i will check.

Posted by Patricia Email User on 20/3/2006, 6:52 pm
Thanks 4 reply tony, sorry to hear that tiny died.

Posted by David Le Gresley Email User on 16/12/2006, 10:32 pm
Thats my Grandad happy.gif

Posted by Ex Tonibell on 30/12/2006, 2:08 pm
David, have sent you some old photographs to share with your grandad george.

10.  Basildon Hall
Posted by Mary Skipworth Email User on 13/3/2006, 12:45 am
In the 1861 census William Green Skipworth was a farmer of Basildon Hall, 163 acres, employing 4 men and 2 boys.

William was born in Rothwell, Lincolnshire in 1813 and died at Basildon in 1862. I think he came to be farming in Essex because of an inherited estate, in which a Mrs Jane Green (living 1819) had a life interest. Cherry Orchard farm at Orsett in Essex is mentioned in connection with Jane Green's estate.

Can anyone throw light on this Green family? I think some Isaac Greens in Lincolnshire may be related also.
Thanks

Re: Basildon Hall
Posted by Richard Clarkson Email User on 10/2/2007, 4:47 pm
I have an ancestor on a birth certificate listed as "lodgingers at Basildon Hall. No one seems to know anything about this place, including researchers. Today I just found this link which shows Basildon Hall. I have e-mailed this site for any info. (THIS site) the publishers do not have contact info. My family were "agricultural labourors". We also seem to be ( by DNA ) of the catevelauni Celtic tribe of Essex, which would make us the "original" inhabitants.
Richard Clarkson (Claxon, Claxton etc)
New jersey, USA

Editor: The website link with this entry no longer resolves.
(https://www.maison-de-stuff.net/simon/057%20Basildon%20Hall%202007_05_05/index.html)

Re: Basildon Hall
Posted by Memory Man on 22/2/2007, 3:33 pm
UNFORTUNATLY PICTURES ARE OF BASILDON, BERKSHIRE NOT BASILDON ESSEX. IF ONLY OUR TOWN WERE THIS NICE. IT WAS ONCE MANY YEARS AGO BEFORE THE BULLDOZERS WRECKED IT ALL.

11.  Arthur Willis of Laindon
Posted by John Constable Email User on 16/3/2006, 1:36 pm
Does anyone have any information at all on ARTHUR WILLIS born 1894 who originally came from West Ham possibly 26 Star St. and came to live in Laindon c.1925?

He worked at Churchill Johnsons Builders Merchants, near the railway station, up to about WW2.

Any information gratefully received for family records.
John

12.  Bastiani ice cream van
Posted by Carlos Email User on 18/3/2006, 10:37 am
Does anyone remember bastiani ice cream vans? I think they came from grays & were one of the first to sell soft whipped ice cream. is Reg still around. regards carlos.

Re: Bastiani ice cream van
Posted by Annelise Email User on 21/3/2006, 7:48 pm
He's still going strong!

Basti parks his van outside my daughter's school in the summer and remembers me from when *I* was a child.

Sadly, my favourite spearmint ice lolly is no longer available, although the stickers advertising it are still on the van, unchanged since the Seventies :-D

Posted by Carlos Email User on 24/3/2006, 11:23 am
Thanks for info, where does he operate (area). regards carlos. p.s rossi (southend) still do spearmint creme lollies.

Posted by Mike Fruin Email User on 14/4/2006, 2:06 am
Bastiani's factory was at the end of Kent Road, Grays in the early 1960's. I used the underneath of the factory to park my car. The parents had a religious ornament section in the same complex.
Mike Fruin ex basildon now tasmania

Posted by Gary Email User on 5/9/2006, 1:34 am
Yeah he still comes and parks in the same spot near my mums house in basildon just off little lullaway. im 39 think i first saw him when I was about 4. if we only had couple a coppers he would make us a little ice cream out of broken cornets {now who does that now no 1} he is exactly the same, same bloody van I can hear the wine of the engine and gearbox makes me get exited for an icecream haha. I now buy my little girl ice creams from him what a lovely man.

Posted by Sue Email User on 28/9/2006, 11:43 pm
'Basti's' real name is Tony and he remembers me and my family from when we were youngsters. He is a great guy, a bit of a living legend in these parts !!

Posted by John Email User on 8/10/2007, 12:40 am
I remember Tony from when I lived in Capelston off little lullaway, he was the best ever ice cream man. In 1982, he promised all us kids who played football on the green out the back that he would give us free ice creams if Italy won the World Cup. When they did, he backed out of the deal, but he was still the greatest!

13.  Rectory Road, Pitsea
Posted by K.J Email User on 24/3/2006, 11:30 am
STEGGLES, THE CABIN, GREENS STORES, PAPWORTHS, WALKERS STORES, WAGERS DAIRIES, CHURCHILL & JOHNSONS, T.G CYCLES. WHO REMEMBERS THESE SHOPS? K.J.

Re: Rectory Road, Pitsea
Posted by Patricia Email User on 28/3/2006, 5:40 pm
Yes i remember rectory road, used to go in the cabin as a kid, an elderly lady owned it.
went back a few years ago, but its all changed now

Posted by Leo Email User on 29/3/2006, 12:47 pm
Mrs yaxeley & Mrs crotch ran the cabin with mrs yaxeley's son. ken steggles ran the newsagents (steggles). klarners was a mini supermarket (now the chinese takeaway), g moores was a wool shop, there was also a small timber sweet shop opposite kenneth road, you had to make a lot of noise to attract the owner as she was deaf. it meant going in and out bangng your feet!!! wagers dairies was on the corner of rectory road/high rd, the shop is still there as part of house. papworths used to trade from a large van as well as his fruit/veg shop in the 1960`s.

Posted by Patricia Email User on 29/3/2006, 7:28 pm
I remember that timber sweet shop leo.
do you remember the prefabs in and around kenneth road?

Posted by Leo Email User on 3/4/2006, 12:58 pm
Yes i remember the pre-fabs, do you remember the pig farm??? i can still smell it now. we used to go scrumping for apples, pears, plums & gooseberries in the old orchards off rectory road. sunday school at the church hall on the corner of wickford avenue (opposite papworths) rev harvey & jim chelton. sports days behind the new church in the summer (free lunch). fishing in the willow pond, doing my paper round from steggles, up rectory rd, down burnt mills then down to pound lane, all before school.

Posted by Patricia Email User on 5/4/2006, 6:59 pm
My grandparents had a small holding in treham ave & the kids would drag old baths in the gate to nick the friut off the trees. we had a dog called peter & he would bark & chase them out.
last time i went there, all that remained was two tall poplar trees that used to be at the gate.

Posted by Alan Email User on 14/9/2006, 7:43 pm
I remember the black shop we used to call it...(small timber sweet shop opposite kenneth road, you had to make a lot of noise to attract the owner as she was deaf.) We did not really like to go on our own..... i also rememnber the pig farm and the hay stacks they had to. great times.

Posted by Martin Walker Email User on 12/10/2007, 9:42 am
My nan owned the shop called Wayside stores that was knocked down in the late 1960's. does anyone have any old pictures of it?

14.  Pitsea School
Posted by Leo Email User on 3/4/2006, 2:19 pm
Mr jones the headmaster, mr king, mrs mc`neil, mr illiams (boxed your ears, probably why im nearly deaf) coal being delivered by conveyor belt off a lorry. the cane!!! what a time in the 1960`s. still looks the same but they changed the name. will alway be pitsea pig sty to me.(p.p.s)

Re: Pitsea School
Posted by Margaret Email User on 16/4/2006, 8:45 pm
I joined in 1945 just after the war - you think you had it rough, we had 48 yes 48 in a class. First teacher was Mrs. Dove. My last teacher was Mr. Bebington.

Posted by Margaret Jackson nee White on 30/4/2006, 8:08 pm
I went to Pitsea school starting in 1942. My sister Jean was five in 1945 so must have been around when you were there. Mr Bebington was my teacher in my last year. I remember his handwriting challenge league and his obsession with shiny shoes.

Posted by Patricia Email User on 3/5/2006, 7:12 pm
Margaret, do u remember any names from infant school? my brother was at pitsea school too, he's 66 now.

Posted by Margaret J Email User on 4/5/2006, 9:28 pm
Hi Patricia,
When I next see my sister Jean I will ask her about her classmates in 1946. I know she had friends - Jennifer Bartlett who lived in the old Parsonage opposite the school and Margaret King who lived in Station Road (now Sandon Road) near us in Pitsea. Margaret J.

Posted by Margaret Hickman Email User on 28/7/2006, 11:48 pm
Your sister Jean White was in the same class as myself. She was friends with Beryl Warman, Barbara Dellow and myself. I have an old school photo with us all in it, with the teacher Miss Denton. I too had Mr. Bebington and enjoyed his classes.

Posted by Patricia Email User on 14/8/2007, 3:52 pm
My brothers name was Terry Ellis, he remembers walking to school during the war, with german planes shooting at people in the street, he said he used to run into the shop doorways, till the all clear. He went to london after the war & became a teacher

15.  Co-op milk depot, Bluehouses, Basildon
Posted by Milky Email User on 6/4/2006, 2:07 pm
I used to work at london co-op dairies in bluehouses, basildon in 1972-1975. the foreman was fred james, the guv was john, cyril run the stores, dewdrop, the 2 rons, robert hogg, steve was forklift driver, stan middleton, bob blowes, joe 90, dougie, tony, frank, pete, graham, peter (used to do upholstery) cork. anone still about???

16.  Reunion
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 5/5/2006, 11:10 pm
If there are any ex Laindon High Road school pupils who left from 1961 to 1963 wishing to attend a reunion on Friday 26 May at either 'The Crown' on Langdon Hills or Basildon Rugby Club, depending how many wish to come, please contact me ASAP on my personal E-mail addy? It would be nice to see some new faces this year, so if you were there and/or know anybody that was and can possibly attend, then please let us know? The more, the merrier it can be.
Thank You.

Re: Reunion
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 23/5/2006, 9:26 pm
This has now been unfortunately cancelled due to lack of interest, more's the pity. It would have been nice to meet up and catch up again.

17.  Locarno (Mecca) Ballroom
Posted by Paul Email User on 10/5/2006, 9:10 pm
Does anybody remember The Expresso Five who used to play at the mecca in the 1960's?

Re: Locarno (Mecca) Ballroom
Posted by Bob Email User on 15/5/2006, 6:25 pm
Yes i remember good times at the locarno as it was called then. And does anybody remember the D.J. i think his name was paul Thorpe it was in 1962?

Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 16/5/2006, 10:44 am
The expresso five rings a bell although at my age i could well be confusing them with the dave clark five who played there regularly-heheheh.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 23/5/2006, 9:34 pm
I can remember the d.j., but not his name. As for the Dave Clark Five, oh what lovely memories I have and in particular being able to talk with them during their breaks. It is such a pity that Mike Smith was in a wheelchair last time I saw him, following a bad fall at his home in Gibraltar about 3 years ago now. I still have their records, being singles, EP's, LP's and CD.

I remember David and The Embers and The Migil Five playing during the DC5 absence when they were on holiday, but certainly not The Expresso Five.

Posted by Terry Email User on 27/5/2006, 12:53 pm
I remember paul (billy liar) thorpe, he had a market stall in basildon market years ago selling old magazines. is he still around??? think he was a bit of a comedian/compere last time i saw him. best wishes terry.

Posted by Aubrey Email User on 29/5/2006, 4:14 pm
Well bob, you must have been a twinkle in your fathers eye in 1962. i remember a postman called paul thorpe, not dj, but dw (dishwasher). those were the days paul, do you remember wignalls betting shop & the ford zodiac eye eye mate. keep up the good work you still make us laugh after all these years mate. love to your new wife. aubrey (1963).

Posted by Paul Email User on 31/5/2006, 11:15 pm
Thanks for the wind up "AUBREY" you'll never change. always the sarcastic one. ha! ha! Ann sends her love.

Posted by Paul Email User on 31/5/2006, 11:22 pm
Hello Terry, wasn't you the one that did my electrics on Basildon Market? no wonder British Rail made you redundant!!!!!!!!! Regards Paul

Posted by Stanley Dudley Email User on 2/7/2007, 1:35 pm
I remember Paul as he was a good mate. He had the bookstall in the market square before making enough cash to move abroad I think or maybe not. perhaps somebody knows.

Posted by Stan Email User on 2/7/2007, 2:13 pm
Should have read this before posting my message assuming you had gone abroad. Perhaps you were only talking about a holiday. Anyway its nice to know you are still around, hope you are well and enjoying life as always. Regards Stan (the bouncer)

Posted by Colin Clarke Email User on 13/7/2008, 12:15 am
Hi Paul!
My wife definitely remembers the Expresso 5 at the Mecca, but I remember them more from the Friday night dances at Laindon High road School youth club. They were a brilliant group, the lead singer was Graham Bradley (later known as Graham Bonney, with the hit "Hey Supergirl".) Do you remember how the drummer was made to play his solo for as long as the Yogi bear figure was swinging behind him? (And how some cheats used to give it an extra shove?)

Posted by Mick Email User on 7/10/2008, 8:18 pm
What is about the number 5. Did the Locarno only have acts with that number? DC5, Migil 5, Expresso 5 and an appearance by The Toggery Five (see my entry under Dave Clark Five lead singer). Can anybody remember another act that appeared there with 5 in the name so as to make it 5x5?

Posted by John C. Ward Email User on 24/11/2008, 1:34 am
Graham Bradley played with the Expresso 5 as well as David and the Embers. David and the Embers had a minor 'hit' at that time but I can not remember the title.
People may remember some top line groups who played at the Locarno in the period 1962-64 at functions organised by the Marconi Apprentices Association: e.g. The Animals. The Kinks, Dave Clark Five, Marmalade, etc. They were good times at the Locarno.
Website Editor: David & the Embers released a 7" single in 1963 called "What is this" b/w "Teddy Bear Special" (From the film "The Yellow Teddy Bears") on Decca Records, catalogue number: F.11717. It did not chart.

18.  Campbell's Motor Services of Pitsea
Posted by Florrie Email User on 27/5/2006, 12:08 pm
IT'S 50 YEARS AGO THAT CAMPBELLS OF PITSEA STOPPED RUNNING BUSES IN AND AROUND BASILDON. I WAS A CONDUCTRESS RIGHT UP TO THE END. DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THIS COMPANY? THEIR DEPOT IS STILL THERE IN STATION LANE (SOON TO BE GYPSY SITE). WE USED TO CARRY ANYTHING IN THE OLD DAYS, LIVESTOCK ON MARKET DAYS, SAND, BUILDING SUPPLIES FOR THE PLOTS. ALSO USED TO HAVE TO WAKE UP REGULAR PASSENGERS BY BLOWING THE HORN ON WAY THROUGH. THAT WAS PUBLIC TRANSPORT. ALL THE BEST, FLORRIE.

Re: Campbell's Motor Services of Pitsea
Posted by John Email User on 28/5/2006, 5:21 am
I've lived in Australia now for 42 years, but my childhood very much involved travelling on Campbells buses, and mainly to visit my grandmother. As you would know Florrie the earlier models had wooden seats and were real bone shakers. Invariably they were driven by one of the Campbells sons who probably alternated with driving their coal trucks. My grandmother lived in Beresford Road which no longer exists and was a turning of Church Rd Basildon, and just beyond the railway bridge. I used to travel from Pitsea Broadway to visit the old lady, and from memory the fare was initially about two pence. Campbells service was always very personal and friendly and part of the areas character. The biggest fear however was that on a rare occasion a scheduled bus might breakdown and not turn up. It was mighty lonely for a child in Church Rd at night, and a long walk down Gordon Road to catch the other buses along Timberlog Lane. Just think you probably took my fare all those years ago.

Posted by Florrie Email User on 29/5/2006, 12:35 pm
THANK YOU JOHN FOR YOUR MEMORIES, I THOUGHT I MIGHT GET A LOCAL REPLY BUT ALL THE WAY FROM AUSTRALIA WELL!! IN ABOUT THREE WEEKS MY FRIEND WILL BE PUTTING MY COLLECTION OF BLACK & WHITE PHOTOS ON THIS SITE. I HAVE ABOUT 120 PICTURES TAKEN WHEN I WORKED AT STATION LANE DEPOT. YES SOME OF THE BUSES LOOK LIKE THEY SHOULD BE IN A MUSEUM. DO YOU REMEMBER CITY COACH COMPANY WHO RAN THRU WICKFORD??? BEST WISHES FLORRIE.

Posted by Patricia Email User on 31/5/2006, 8:15 pm
LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING THE PHOTOS FLORRIE.
I REMEMBER THOSE BUSES, AS A CHILD ID GET ON THE BUS WITH MY GRAN TO GO TO PITSEA MARKET. THEY WERE SO NOISY. I HAVE SOME GOOD MEMORIES OF PITSEA.

Posted by Margaret Hickman Email User on 28/7/2006, 11:45 pm
I used to live in Avondale Road, Pitsea Estate and when I first started working would pass the depot near the station every day. I remember the wooden seats. I sometimes caught the bus from Pitsea Station to the Working Mans Club at Vange.

19.  Old Tom buses of Laindon
Posted by Florrie Email User on 13/6/2006, 12:59 pm
FOUND A PHOTO OF A BUS BELONGING TO "OLD TOM", WHO USED TO RUN A SMALL FLEET OF BUSES AROUND LAINDON IN THE 1930`S. WILL PUT IT WITH CAMPBELLS PHOTO`S WHEN WE GET THEM ALL SORTED. FLORRIE.

20.  Vange boot sale field
Posted by Edward on 14/6/2006, 3:43 pm
Why is this field known locally as gods field. is it because of the church or is it an ancient burial mound??? the gypsies won`t go on it, and people are often seen late at night with metal detectors. anyone know anything????

Re: Vange boot sale field
Posted by Concerned on 10/2/2007, 3:50 pm
JUST NOTICED THIS FIELD IS UP FOR AUCTION ON 28 FEBRUARY. WHAT WILL BECOME OF THIS LAST PIECE OF OLD VANGE??

Click here for July - December 2006 entries

blank.gif
Page added: 2011
blank.gif
blank.gif
Back a Page Basildon History Forum Basildon History Forum Archive Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM