blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
    You are here: Forum Archive

blank.gif
Forum Archive
blank.gif
2011 Forum Threads - January to June

All forum threads posted between 2002 and 2013 have now been removed from the original forum (message board) and archived under their original entry title.

It is not possible to post a direct response to these entries but you can use the contact page to post a message, which can then be added to an archived entry.

You can of course begin a new thread at any time by posting to the current forum.

View or post to the current forum

2011 entries
Click here for July - December entries.
Please be aware contact e-mail addresses of some entries may no longer be valid.

01) Keith Burton
02) Rosina Yems - 4 replies.
03) Harold George Howard - 3 replies.
04) Kent View Recreation Ground, Vange, Basildon - 2 replies.
05) Prefabs in Pitsea - 8 replies.
06) Laindon Park 1962/63 - 2 replies.
07) Tonibell Book - 12 replies.
08) I am looking for old friends Ted and June Ash - 1 reply.
09) Carnival Time
10) Fundraising
11) Talk on Laindon - 4 replies.
12) Woodward of Lee Chapel Lane
13) Student at Craylands - 1 reply.
14) Hats off to Basildon Council - 1 reply.
15) Basildon Standard - 9 replies.
16) The day "Old Basildon" died - 3 replies.
17) Campbells Field now Kent View Recreation Ground - 1 reply.
18) Steps near Laindon Station - 1 reply.
blank.gif
1.  Keith Burton
Posted by Robin Lockhart Email User on 5/1/2011, 9:35 pm
Does anybody know where a Keith Burton can be found, he used to live in Chesterford Green in the early 60s and belonged to Basildon Youth Assoc and the Basildon Spooks Scooter Club?

2.  Rosina Yems
Posted by Andrea Email User on 9/1/2011, 8:15 pm
Does anyone know the whereabouts of Rosina Yems? We lived in same street and were friends. Her parents took me on holiday with them to Cornwall; Rosina was 16 and I was 15. Andrea (nee Pinnell)

Re: Rosina Yems
Posted by Rosina Cole Email User on 7/2/2013, 12:03 pm
Hi Andrea
I often wondered what happened to you - sorry it has taken so long to answer your message.
I am still married, no children, and finally settled in Colchester - look forward to hearing from you.

Posted by Andrea Email User on 7/2/2013, 4:57 pm
Rosina - so pleased to get your message - please email me.

Andrea

Posted by Rosina Cole Email User on 9/2/2013, 10:55 am
Hi Andrea
Will e-mail you again but could you send e-mail address

Rosina

Posted by Andrea Email User on 9/2/2013, 11:52 am
Hi Rosina
Looking forward to hearing from you.

*******@hotmail.co.uk

3.  Harold George Howard
Posted by Patriot Email User on 10/1/2011, 7:22 pm
Hi, Can anyone give me any information on Harold George Howard, I know he designed the Tudor buildings in pitsea and the War Memorial in Pitsea, But any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Harold George Howard
Posted by Mark M on 11/1/2011, 12:33 pm
I think he lived at Bluehouse Farm, near the junction of London Rd and Rectory Rd - and he is buried in a family plot at St Margaret, that lonely little church next to the railway line in Bowers Gifford. Afraid that's all I really know!

Posted by lee harlow on 26/1/2011, 8:42 pm
im sure he was the owner of a dairy he owned much of pitsea between the wars, the tudor buildings you see today were going to be a part of a big master plan.
He wanted a whole place in mock tudor style but the out break of the second world war put a stop to it

Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 23/6/2011, 5:40 pm
He was also responsible for building the cinema then called the Broardway. The Railway Hotel as it was then. He also built Pitsea's own electrical generator. This powered all the shops and the flats above them. The bank. The cinema. The hotel the war memorial and all the street lights along Pisea Broadway and the entrance to station lane. The building that it was housed in is still standing behind the Tudor mansions and shops. Yes he also ran a dairy. His first shop was the second house on your left as you enter Rectory road. It's still there.

4.  Kent View Recreation Ground, Vange, Basildon
Posted by Phil Jacobs Email User on 11/1/2011, 12:23 pm
Kent View Recreation Ground, Kent View Road, Vange, Basildon, Essex is being proposed to be sold by Basildon Borough Council. Older residents of Kent View believe a land owner / farmer Mr Campbell gifted Kent View Rec to the residents of Kent View Road back in the 50s when New Town developments wanted to buy all his land. Keeping Kent View Recreation Ground for the people was a condition he placed on the sales of his land. Which begs the question has the Council the right to propose its sale. If anyone has any facts or perhaps documentation to verify this belief a thousand plus residents trying to save Kent View Rec would be very grateful.
Many Thanks,
Phil Jacobs, Vange

Re: Kent View Recreation Ground, Vange, Basildon
Posted by Patricia Alden-Smith Email User on 10/7/2011, 8:14 pm
Have you tried the land registry, old Ordnance Survey maps or the records office. You may do better at county hall than local council offices. I was born in Vange but now not local. Have looked at old OS maps for post war and it gives the names of the old roads (no longer there) for the area that you need info on so that might be a help.

Re: Kent View Recreation Ground, Vange, Basildon
Posted by Phil Jacobs Email User on 10/7/2011, 8:55 pm
Hi Patricia, we have been onto the Land registry etc which confirmed the land was owned by a Mr R Campbell, which we have been advised is Richard. We are follwing a number of leads into the Campbell family etc and have people that are going to look at the Essex Records office. There have been loads of residents in their 80's and 90's that remember a covenant and that the land was given by Campbell to the residents of Kent View Road so there must be something to all this and it would appear the Council should not be selling this land. Thank you very much for your information and responding to my request. regards Phil Jacobs

5.  Prefabs in Pitsea
Posted by pat Email User on 1/2/2011, 3:37 pm
does anyone remeber them or lived there. Do you remember the gap into Trenham ave?

Re: Prefabs in Pitsea
Posted by Alan Hawkins Email User on 29/3/2011, 9:39 pm
I remember the prefabs left off of Rectory road traveling south, but can't remember the name of road could have been Kenneth or Luncies. However I do remember Trenham avenue I was Born there in a Bungalow called Nookfold I last visited there for a peep in about 2000 ish I believe there has been some re-developement since.

Posted by pat Email User on 30/3/2011, 10:13 am
hi alan, it is Kenneth rd. I was also born in a bungalow in Trenham ave, called Winchmore.
how long did you live there? my gran was mrs lovering

Posted by Alan Hawkins Email User on 30/3/2011, 9:04 pm
Hello Pat
I think between 1 and 2 years only a baby so have no real memories of it only information from parents, there was no water or sewage facilities water came from a well my parents have both passed away now so cannot be accurate about timing but we moved to St. Leonards ave around 1949 and were there until 1963, that home was compulsory purchased by Basildon Development Corporation very sad. I first saw Nookfold when I took my mother there around 2000 she said it looked just the same and still called Nookfold that area seems to have escaped any serious re development for time being anyway, not sure about now of course as it's 10 years or so on!
My gran and grandad lived in Cecil Drive; also compulsory purchased around 1972 ish.
Rectory road and surrounding area hold fond memories for me, a paper round from Steggles helped pay for my bike and left me with a three penny joe each week!...Hard times but no responsibilities then!
Didn't know of Mrs Lovering, did know the Howell brothers one named Archie both very good one worked at Nevendon School as a caretaker and the other at Shell Refinery couple of characters but genuine and good fellows.

regards Alan

Posted by pat Email User on 31/3/2011, 9:21 am
HI ALAN, CAN'T RECALL NOOKFOLD, BUT REMEMBER ARCHIE AND TWIN BROTHER FRED. YES NO WATER OR SEWAGE AND WATER FROM THE WELL. I LEFT THERE AGE 2/3. WENT TO LIVE IN LONDON, BUT SPENT EVERY SUMMER (TWO MONTHS) BACK IN MY GRANS BUNGALOW. lOVED IT THERE, HAVE MANY HAPPY MEMORYS. I REMEMBER STEGGLES. I WAS FRIENDS WITH A GIRL IN TRENHAM CALLED CHRISTINE ELDRIDGE, AND STILL IN CONTACT WITH HER. REGARDS PAT

Posted by Alan Hawkins Email User on 31/3/2011, 9:44 pm
Hello Pat

My Brother knew a Don Lowe I'll have to check, he lived in one of the prefabs I did go there with my brother when I was about 12 or 13.
If I am correct Archie was the Caretaker and Fred Worked at Shell the Banter on the way to work in those days was hilarious it was what made it all worthwhile when you were fed up! Thought you might find the following of interest.
Had an e-mail from my brother in December 2010,"Was I still going to be going to see him and family as the weather not too clever!"
Well, when I started work in 1962 the snow was the worst I can ever remember, so I sent an E-mail back as follows..........
Remember 1962/3, getting up at half past night!! huddling round the Belling fire two bars on!, the ice was on the inside of the windows quick wash probably a kettle full of hot water,No emersion, walking line astern to Pitsea, might get on the first bus outside the Century cinema, fingers crossed for the second bus, push it round five bells the bus was full when there was no standing room on the open platform! Today cars start every time without fail..... ABS, traction control, auto pilot, heaters! Climate control, heated seats!! Heated mirrors, Sat Nav!!!....Are we getting soft or what!!....... Gritters never saw gritters in those days!................................
I will be packing enough food to keep me going for a week a stove, your snow shovel, and if that's not enough, provided I get stuck on the way there, I will eat your Toblerone that should keep me going through to the new year, I love this weather!!...................See you Monday....

Those were the days Pat

Take care Alan

Posted by pat Email User on 20/4/2011, 8:18 pm
i remember the winter of 62/3. I was living in london at the time, that was bad enough, don't think i would have servived pitsea. Went back to grans bungalow to live in 64, with my husband and baby daughter, had a son, born there in 65. Stayed there for a couple of years.
My best memorys were the childhood ones.
bfn Alan

Posted by Dee Hodges Email User on 15/5/2011, 4:29 pm
Alan, I think my parents bought their house off your parents! I lived in Nookfold from about 1949-55 - I was only about 10 when we left the area!! Does anyone else remember the Plowrights?

Posted by Terry steward Email User on 7/12/2011, 9:30 pm
Cromwell gardens was to the Left Towards the rear of Great chalvedon hall as you go up Kenneth Rd, we lived at 43.

6.  Laindon Park 1962/63
Posted by Lee Beecroft on 20/2/2011, 2:13 pm
Hi, i'm trying to help my father-in-law out, when he was a kid, he remembers playing in Laindon Park in the summer of either 1962 or 63, where they had a very tall pear tree. On one occasion a young boy of about 8 or 9 climbed the tree to shake some pears down, and fell. My father-in-law has been trying to find out for years what happened to the young boy. Whether he survived or not as its been playing on his mind.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lee

Re: Laindon Park 1962/63
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 23/2/2011, 12:06 am
Hi Lee, I Seriously hope you get the answer to your question, but the Only park as such I recall from back then, was off Berry Lane, Langdon Hills, and as far as I know, still there, yet I can't for the life of me, remember a pear tree being there.

Re: Laindon Park 1962/63
Posted by David Bailey Email User on 18/4/2011, 12:09 am
Hi Brian
there were definately no fruit trees in Langdon Hills Park in those days

7.  Tonibell Book
Posted by Dodgy Rog Email User on 22/2/2011, 8:03 pm
Hi All, A couple of years ago there was talk of a book on the history of Tonibell does anybody know if it came to fruition or was it victim of the currant financial crisis. Dodgy Rog

Re: Tonibell Book
Posted by keith nock Email User on 24/2/2011, 8:43 am
hi roger i have heard some one was doing one but i havnt seen it have been in touch with gary rich who has a great interest in tonibell he hasnt said anything if you hear anymore let me know regards keith

Posted by Dodgy Rog Email User on 24/2/2011, 2:07 pm
Hi Keith, Sure thing will do, Roger

Posted by Steve Tillyer Email User on 16/5/2011, 1:45 pm
This book has now gone to print, and will be published this summer. Just google tonibell story by steve tillyer, for more information. if anyone has any information on tonibell its not too late to add anything as book just gone to printers for setup, regards steve

Posted by keith nock Email User on 14/7/2011, 4:56 pm
hi steve thanks have ordered book which is coming out on 30th july really looking forward to reading it regards keith

Posted by Steve Tillyer Email User on 16/7/2011, 11:45 am
Hi Keith...

The tonibell book is now finished and sitting on my desk ready to go off to the publishers. So the finished article may well be a while yet.

However, any new tonibell information or pictures could at this stage be included if I get anything new in the next few days. So if you have anything, please let me know.

Kind regards

Steve Tillyer

Posted by keith nock Email User on 20/10/2011, 9:49 am
hi steve got your new book on tonibell really enjoyed it brought back many memories great book regards keith nock

Posted by Steve Tillyer Email User on 28/10/2011, 1:44 pm
Hi Keith...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It took a fair bit of time tracking down enough material to make it work as a book. It was in fact harder this time round to find enough material compared to the Softee & Whippy books. This is why I added the non tonibell chapters to get to the amount of words required to fill 64 pages.

regards

Steve

Posted by Memory man on 11/11/2011, 2:19 pm
Hi Steve, also enjoyed book especially the early days around basildon. Look forward to your next book.

Posted by Steve Tillyer Email User on 12/11/2011, 8:45 am
Hi..ya...

There will probably be another book at some point, with research always ongoing. I've several ideas in the pipeline, but don't hold your breath as it may be a couple of years down the line.

Regards

Steve

Posted by memory man on 14/11/2011, 2:25 pm
Hi steve, took book round to george le-gresley yesterday, took photo of him holding the book Will send these to you later. Unfortunatly his sight has gone so he cannot read it himself now. Keep publishing. Memory Man.

Posted by Terry steward Email User on 7/12/2011, 9:27 pm
My Dad Les Steward Drove for Tonibell in the Early 60's

Posted by keith nock Email User on 14/1/2012, 5:51 am
hi memory man i wonder if you have heard if jimmy waddilove is still around i know he moved to norfolk met him in prince of wales pub one night

8.  I am looking for old friends Ted and June Ash
Posted by keith nock Email User on 24/2/2011, 8:46 pm
hi i wonder if any one remembers or knows of ted and june ash they worked with me at tonibells ice cream basildon ted was a driver and june worked in the office regards keith

Re: I am looking for old friends Ted and June Ash
Posted by Andrea Email User on 4/3/2011, 1:54 pm
I remember a JUNE ASH working at Basildon Council office in 1970...... don't know anymore but perhaps that would jog someone's memory, if it's the same person.

9.  Carnival Time...
Posted by Valerie Wilson on 7/3/2011, 12:03 pm
Can you remember the great fun we all had getting ready for the Basildon Carnival. One year we found that we needed a lorry and it was getting very near the date for the carnival parade. Well our coalman came to the rescue. He delivered his lorry when he finished his work to a space accross the road from my house. Then the fun began we had to wash the coal lorry first and then decorate it. There were no problems re so many rules as there are today. Which is why so many wonderful events don't happen.
Well i'm gald they all happened in my childhood and teenage years as it's those memories that keep me happy today. Valerie...

10.  Fundraising...
Posted by Valerie Wilson Email User on 7/3/2011, 12:24 pm
How many can remember our fundraising events, Jumble sales, We would go from door to door collecting belongings people no longer wanted in their homes, Then when we had enough we would rent the Scout hall in Fairview Road and sell as much as we could. This was great fun because the children, parents and friends all came together so in todays terms it would be called a jumble party. Anyway when the sale was over and we had nearly finished the juice and biscuits it was time to clear what was left. Well for this we took all the buttons off garments, zips out, Infact anything that could be used to resell at the christmas bazzar. Then the Rag and Bone man would come and give us a few more pennies or shillings for what was then left. Ah the good old days... Now they call them make over's. recycled etc etc, I could go on... Valerie... Next piece on getting ready for the christmas bazzar. Valerie...

11.  Talk on Laindon
Posted by keth nock Email User on 13/3/2011, 5:25 pm
hi ken porter is doing talk on laindon on 23rd of march 2pm regards keith

Re: Talk on Laindon
Posted by Linda Hopcroft Email User on 19/3/2011, 7:05 pm
Hi Keith. Where is the the talk taking place? I'd be very interested in going

Posted by keith nock Email User on 20/3/2011, 6:29 pm
hi linda its being held in laindon library on 23rd of march best wishes keith

Posted by Linda Hopcroft Email User on 21/3/2011, 5:40 pm
Thanks Keith. I've got the tickets.

Posted by brian baylis Email User on 27/3/2011, 12:03 am
Sadly, I had no choice other than to miss out on this, and what I am sure, was a very interesting talk. I was visiting my Late Wife of just 8 days marriage, in the Undertakers, and just so sorry I had to miss it, like I miss my wife and VERY MUCH.cry.gif

12.  Woodward of Lee Chapel Lane
Posted by peter walker Email User on 14/3/2011, 8:02 pm
hello i am trying to find any info on the woodward's of lee chapel lane in langdon hills.

13.  Student at Craylands
Posted by Janet Payne Email User on 7/4/2011, 12:45 am
Thought I might see if I can search out an old friend. Her name at the time was Carol Cranfield and she lived near me in Patiswick square, Basildon. I left the area in 1963.

Re: Student at Craylands
Posted by mike fruin Email User on 9/5/2011, 12:42 am
Hi Janet. Did you live in Danbury Down when you were young?
I remember a Payne family that lived about 5 doors down from us. My sister Jackie would have been about your age and went to Craylands.

14.  Hats off to Basildon Council
Posted by dave oakley Email User on 10/5/2011, 8:12 am
Read the echo as usual online today and noted that your local council admirably refused to fly the european flag for euro day---WELL DONE COUNCILLORS. Dave O.smile.gif

Re: Hats off to Basildon Council
Posted by brian baylis Email User on 15/5/2011, 2:37 pm
Why Should we have to fly that bit of rag?

15.  Basildon Standard
Posted by Dodgy Rog Email User on 29/5/2011, 8:14 pm
Hi All, Does anyone know if there are any archives for the Basildon Standard I would like to research 1960-1965, perhaps Basildon library can't find anything on the web, Dodgy Rog

Re: Basildon Standard
Posted by dave oakley Email User on 30/5/2011, 5:42 am
HI DODGY ROG (great nickname, reminds me of a character around basildon in the 60s called CHALKY WHITE, now there was a dodgy rog if ever there was one.) If you look under the chronological section on this website dated 14 nov 1953 you will find that the STANDARD has evolved into the BASILDON AND WICKFORD RECORDER, maybe they can help. regards Dave O.happy.gif

Posted by Jim Green Email User on 30/5/2011, 2:13 pm
Hi Rog, you should be able to get info you need from Basildon library. They have copies going back years and it don't cost a lot either. Give it a go mate

Posted by Robin Lockhart Email User on 30/5/2011, 11:41 pm
Hi Roger, If you visit
The British Library Reference Division
Newspaper Library
Colindale Avenue
London. NW9 5HE
Come out of Colindale underground station and it nearly opposite on the same side of the road as the Hendon Police Training headquarters. They have everything in there, I know, I've done it.

Posted by Dodgy Rog Email User on 1/6/2011, 6:15 pm
Hello Dave, Thanks for the info, I didn't know that, there is so much info on the web I can never find what I want. I don't recall a Chalky White, not from Basildon anyway I think everyone has met a Chalky White at some time or other. I used to have a china stall on Basildon Market in the early sixtys, and the stock answer to where were you always was, I was "In China at the Time" an that led to Dodgy Rog, Cheers.

Posted by Dodgy Rog Email User on 1/6/2011, 6:23 pm
Hi Jim, I was hoping to be able to do it on line as I now live in Norfolk and whenever I do come to Basildon I never seem to have the time after visiting friends and even the odd pub like you do all a matter of priorities But I will do that, Thanks again, Dodgy Rog.

Posted by Dodgy Rog Email User on 1/6/2011, 6:35 pm
Hi Robin, Nice to hear from you but Colindale is a ways from Norfolk just to satisfy curiosity, and I believe they are moving at the moment to I think Yorkshire, with a reading room at St Pancras. move to be completed by 2012 so at the worst I will have to wait, but I will try Basildon when I am that way, Thanks for the info anyway Happy Scootering, Dodgy Rog

Posted by patriot Email User on 23/7/2011, 3:55 pm
Do they Definatley have old copies of the Basildon Standard at Basildon library?

Posted by denise Email User on 26/10/2011, 6:08 pm
Laindon Library has these newspapers: 1954-1974

Posted by mick oakley Email User on 11/11/2013, 5:06 pm
yes old chalky he was my first wifes father some good memories lol

16.  The day "Old Basildon" died
Posted by Steven Email User on 22/6/2011, 1:14 pm
Here's a question for people who knew and lived in the Basildon area before the 1950s. When do you feel 'Old Basildon' disappeared for good? I'm sure it's tempting to simply say "The day the Basildon Development Corporation was formed" or "The day the first bulldozer moved in", but please try and give a more considered response. The history books suggest that large parts of Pitsea, Vange and Laindon went relatively unchanged well into the late '50s/'60s. So maybe it was the day that an old building went, or when a particular area close to your heart was bulldozed, or when a certain new building sprang up, or perhaps something even more personal.

I'm genuinely interested to hear some thoughts from the pre-new town residents on this.

Steven

Re: The day "Old Basildon" died
Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 23/6/2011, 5:11 pm
To us old ones that lived in the Basildon area before the new town was formed. B.U.D.C. was Billericay urban district council. At the top of Laindon hills there was a steel post marking the border of Basildon and Thurock counties with B.U.D.C. on. That post was there long before Basildon new town was formed.
I have written some of my memories of the days I lived in the Five bells area. In the war years and my school days. If anyone would like to read them I would be glad to send them on.

Posted by mike fruin Email User on 26/6/2011, 12:50 am
Steven. I don't think there was a day that old Basildon died.
It was a slow demise. When I moved to Basildon from Romford in 1955 there were still old Basildon houses around. Opposite the end of Whimore Way, in Timberlog lane was a large white house. All along that side of Timberlog lane were 'old' houses. As teenagers there was no distinction. We all went to the various youth clubs and the cinema in Pitsea, and danced at the Railway Hotel. My first job was building new houses in Basildon. "Old" Basildon was there for many years.

Posted by Vic Wiles on 30/6/2011, 3:24 pm
Being able to trace my family back to 1889 in Vange and remembering the start of the town myself I don't think think the area died it was gradualy killed

17.  Campbells field now Kent View Recreation Ground
Posted by Phil Jacobs Email User on 27/6/2011, 8:38 pm
Campbells field which is now known as Kent View Recreation Ground, Kent View Road, Vange is being proposed to sold by Basildon Borough Council for housing development. There is a large number of older residents around Kent View and also those that have moved to other areas that know this field as Campbells field and that it was given to the people in perpetuity in 1958 by the land owner Mr Campbell. If anyone knows the whereabouts of existing Campbell family members or old newspaper articles on this or a copy of the covenant that can vefify that this land cannot be sold as this is what a huge number of residents believe is fact. Please can you kindly advise any information. Thank You

Re: Campbells Field now Kent View Recreation Ground
Posted by Vic Wiles on 30/6/2011, 5:27 pm
Hi Phil Have you checked with Bas council to find out if the land is sold are they are going to trace Bob Campbells family and pass the money on + about 55 years rent Bob moved in with relations on Gun Hill Pitsea when the farm was sold Vic Wiles

18.  Steps near Laindon Station
Posted by Helen Email User on 28/6/2011, 10:18 pm
I have noticed on coming out of Laindon station and turning left, next to the coffee shop (which was previously a mini cab office), there are two concrete steps. Does anybody known any-more about these? Also, what did the coffee shop building use to be?

Re: Steps near Laindon Station
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 12/7/2011, 5:00 pm
From my memory, there were a small number of buildings here, including a cafe, where the Eastern National bus crews would take a break in, between runs.

Hope this is of some help?

Click here for July - December 2011 entries

blank.gif
Page added: 2012
blank.gif
blank.gif
Back a Page Basildon History Forum Basildon History Forum Archive Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM