blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
    You are here: Forum Archive

blank.gif
Forum Archive
blank.gif
2011 Forum Threads - July to December

All forum threads posted between 2002 and 2013 have now been removed from the original forum (message board) and archived under their original entry title.

It is not possible to post a direct response to these entries but you can use the contact page to post a message, which can then be added to an archived entry.

You can of course begin a new thread at any time by posting to the current forum.

View or post to the current forum

2011 entries
Click here for January - June entries.
Please be aware contact e-mail addresses of some entries may no longer be valid.

19) Pipps Hill Golf - 4 replies.
20) The Quays Pub - 6 replies.
21) Dunton Plotlands Reunion
22) Laindon + Berry Boxing Club - 7 replies.
23) All Saints Church, Vange
24) Old Old Laindon
25) New to Basildon
26) Dale Farm
27) Keeble's - 4 replies.
28) Copy of Basildon Standard - 2 replies.
29) Basildon History Site - 3 replies.
30) Tonibell depot 70-80s
31) George Moody - 1 reply.
32) Friends - 21 replies.
33) Old photos of Vange - 11 replies.
34) Eddie Morris (Ernie Morris) - 3 replies.
35) Asda - 2 replies.
36) Laindon High Road as it now is - 4 replies.
37) East Anglian Film Archive - 6 replies.
38) Christmas Greetings
blank.gif
19.  Pipps Hill Golf
Posted by Smiffy Email User on 15/7/2011, 9:48 am
Can anyone remember what the pub was called next to the first Tee at the old Pipps Hill Golf Course, I beleive a new pub is on its site called The Quays

Re: Pipps Hill Golf
Posted by Bill on 15/7/2011, 3:24 pm
Sounds like you could be talking about the Treble Chance which bordered Aquatels fishing lake on the old Pipps Hill Road South. I think the Pipps Hill Country Club was part of the same complex. You could have a game of squash in there as well as watching live bands in the Treble Chance.

Posted by memory man on 15/7/2011, 3:24 pm
The treble chance.

Posted by Smiffy Email User on 15/7/2011, 3:50 pm
Thats the one Cheers

Posted by David Email User on 23/12/2011, 5:23 pm
Hi It was named The Treble Chance after a man called Reg Treble, who was the Managing Director of Aquatels that also owned The Pipps Hill Country Club and Leisure Park. Opposite was also a Ski Slope

20.  The Quays Pub
Posted by Smiffy Email User on 15/7/2011, 9:51 am
Does anyone remember what the old pub was called on the site that the Quays now stands on?

Re: The Quays Pub
Posted by memory man on 15/7/2011, 3:23 pm
The treble chance, funny as we spent hours trying to find this name ourselves last month.

Posted by Robin Lockhart on 16/7/2011, 7:27 am
Didn't it used to be called 'The Double Six' or am I getting it mixed up with another one?

Posted by keith nock Email User on 16/7/2011, 9:09 am
hi i remember the treble chance well i worked in tonibell ice cream depot we used to go there for a pint lunch times and there was the essex centre bar in hotel they had strippers there on lunch times great days regards keith

Posted by brian baylis Email User on 16/7/2011, 8:49 pm
I can't recall these pubs, but I can the double Six, and that was if memory serves me right, on Whitmore way, at the Fryerns area. had family friends in The Fremnells

Posted by keith nock Email User on 17/7/2011, 8:52 am
hi brian you are right double six was in whitmore way spent many a night in there at one time they used to have strippers at lunch times

Posted by alan walker Email User on 3/9/2011, 2:06 pm
hi everyone, i have just moved back after 30 years in hertfordshire and have just found this site. brilliant! i had my first pint in the treble in 1974 (naughty only 14 at the time) would be great if any one on here remembers me. i went to bryn and fryerns. all the best alan.

21.  Dunton Plotlands Reunion
Posted by Andrea Ash (nee Pinnell) Email User on 8/8/2011, 8:48 pm
Anyone reading this who were ''lined up'' by Joey for a photo last Saturday (6/8/11) please contact me. It was for Ken Page in Oz; he can't read your name badges so now is asking for your names. Thanks, Andrea

22.  Laindon + Berry Boxing Club
Posted by mike fruin Email User on 19/8/2011, 5:06 am
Called into a small garage in Tasmania to have a light replaced. Talking to the mechanic who lived for 8 years in Laindon High Road. Said it was all housing there now, didn't recall Radion Cinema or Fortune of War Pub - only the roundabout. First person from Basildon I've met in over 40 years in Australia!
The history of Berry's Boxing Club doesn't mention the club in Berry Lane, where I joined in 1955. It moved to the High Street in 1956.

Re: Laindon + Berry Boxing Club
Posted by dave oakley Email User on 20/8/2011, 6:17 am
HI MIKE i know how you feel, ive been in aussie since 71 and never met anyone from basildon, however ive just finished working with a bloke from wickford my age who used to drink in a lot of the basildon pubs i did, but of course i didnt know him then. regards Dave O.confused.gif

Posted by ken page Email User on 20/9/2011, 11:32 am
Gday Mike and Dave, Ive been in Oz since 1964, bumped into Stan Parrish in Mt Isa in 66, since then Ive found a couple of others, Eddy Morris and Josie Bowen here in Melbourne. At a Ulysses rally in Penrith met up with Brian Howard, and David Bailey and his family in Cabolture in Queensland. There are a lot of old Laindoners out here, I forgot to mention the Pilchers in Sth Aust, they were our neighbours on Berry Park estate in the 50s. Ive noticed you guys on various sites but I guess we are all far apart in this BIG country. Im going back to UK in April 2012, looking forward to meeting some of the old folks from my youth, cheers Ken P.

Posted by ken page Email User on 21/9/2011, 1:24 am
Hy again, forgot to mention Brian Reynolds in Sth Aust, he owns a fair chunk of Hindmarsh Island and still has his Manx Norton hanging in his loungeroom
cheers, Ken P.

Posted by dave oakley Email User on 21/9/2011, 10:17 am
Hi Ken thanks for your input, sad to say none of the names you mentioned ring any bells for me, never mind though i will not give up hope as yet, who knows maybe tomorrow. Regards Dave O.smile.gif

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 29/9/2011, 3:22 pm
I too was a member of Berry Boys when in the High Road.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 29/9/2011, 3:25 pm
I remember Alan Pascoe who emigrated to Oz. What part, I can't recall.

Posted by Dave Oakley on 9/2/2014, 3:49 am
Finally met a bloke and his wife from Basildon, on a cruise ship out from sydney to isle of pines etc, seems like he played football out of the Double Six about the same time i played darts for them in the 60s.grin.gif

23.  All Saints Church, Vange
Posted by Jan Email User on 22/8/2011, 8:03 pm
Were you married at ALL SAINTS CHURCH in VANGE? The Old church in Vange is now open every day and 'The Friends of All Saints Church, Vange' are holding a Wedding Theme Heritage Day on 10th & 11th September 2011 and invite anyone who was married in the church to display their wedding photos. We will display photos of Old Vange and a couple of wedding dresses, as well as wedding photographs through the decades. Please reply with your details if you or anyone you know were married at All Saints Church, Vange.

24.  Old Old Laindon
Posted by JOHN CONSTABLE Email User on 24/8/2011, 11:27 am
I was born 1926 in "Avondale" 1926, opposite the "Radion Cinema" and now consider my self as an oldy and and miss the mates we had during the war years growing up with the friends we made and lost.

All that is gone now but I have been looking for Ron Tilley RAF tail gunner on Lancasters who lived in New Century Road after blitz on West Ham and Pat Roach AB on HMS Vengeance and I was on HMS Glory and berthed behind in Sydney 1946 and only seen him once about 60 years ago. Any news of them or any in the Laindon ATC Squadron 1943 ???????

I also need information that is quite important to me of the Willis family, also from New Century Rd. in 1923 as builders or rather any family who may be or are an issue fom the Willis's

Any information gratefully received

John

25.  New to Basildon
Posted by sheena walker Email User on 3/9/2011, 4:15 pm
moved to basildon a year ago with my husband, who was born and brought up here. we are looking for people for social evenings also old friends of alan (walker) i do hope we can meet as i dont know anybody here and would love to make new friends as he has lost touch with most of his old mates after 30 years away. please reply if interested. love sheena

26.  Dale Farm
Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 9/9/2011, 10:28 am
After reading online regarding the current situation at Dale Farm i am wondering if the group of Travellers involved there today are related in any way to those we used to see around Pitsea Pictures in the 60s. Dave O.

27.  Keeble's
Posted by jodie abbott Email User on 11/9/2011, 6:44 am
hi i am trying to find out as much as i can about my family...my grandfather was fredrick keeble and he married a phyllis eldridge they then had six children...alan, barry, brian, sharon gill and gary and info would be great..thanks

Re: Keeble's
Posted by keith nock Email User on 12/9/2011, 9:17 am
hi i remember fred keeble he was bailiff at gloucester park fishing lake many years ago

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 29/9/2011, 3:21 pm
I was in school & work with Barry, but not seen him since moving away from Laindon in 1964.

Posted by richard haines Email User on 13/10/2011, 10:12 pm
Hi, I was at Laindon Park School with Barry Keeble in 1958. A great friend in that year. We used to collect picture cards.

Posted by Geoff Andrews Email User on 19/3/2012, 7:30 pm
I remember a family called Keeble lived in Pound lane,Pitsea, would have been in the 50s and 60s. I remember they had a lot of Children and I believe the Father was a lot older than the Mother. Im afraid I dont remember much about them.
My Mother would have known them but she died in 2005.

28.  Copy of Basildon Standard
Posted by monica Email User on 8/10/2011, 11:02 am
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I CAN GET A COPY OF THE BASILDON STANDARD DATED THE 28th OCTOBER 1961, AS THERE IS AN ARTICAL IN THERE THAT IS OF VERY GREAT INTEREST TO ME, REGARDING THE MEMORIAL THAT STOOD IN THE MIDDLE OF STATION ROAD, BUT NOW SIGHTED IN THE PARK AT RECTORY ROAD, IT USED TO FACE TOWARD THE RAILWAY TAVERN. I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFULL IF I CAN GET THIS PAPER OR EVEN FIND OUT IF I CAN VIEW IT, AND GET PHOTO COPIES OF THE SAID ARTICAL

Re: Copy of Basildon Standard
Posted by Robin Lockhart Email User on 8/10/2011, 3:29 pm
Hi, You can view all these papers at:
The British Library
REFERENCE DIVISION
NEWSPAPER LIBRARY
Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5HE
and get photo copies, I shouldn't hang around because it's closing down in 2012 and everything is being moved to Boston in Lincs.

Re: Copy of Basildon Standard
Posted by Biggels Email User on 20/1/2012, 2:12 pm
is there any where local to view old newspapers from the 60's/70's?

29.  Basildon History Site
Posted by Andrea Email User on 12/10/2011, 8:14 pm
This site is the original and is a constant source of interest. Now there is another local site, (new kid on the block) I hope it won't get neglected - its unique and has its own special way of logging our local history.

Re: Basildon History Site
Posted by richard haines Email User on 13/10/2011, 10:33 pm
what is the new site called?

Posted by Andrea Email User on 14/10/2011, 6:01 pm
I am talking about the Laindon History site - I believe I have seen your name on there? It is a good site, but I would hate this original site to get ignored now!

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 27/10/2011, 10:25 pm
I still call in when I can, but of late, have been busy, in more ways than one. I am also on the other site, but still visit this one as much as possible, even if I don't post.

30.  Tonibell depot 70-80s
Posted by keith nock Email User on 23/10/2011, 12:13 pm
hi i wonder if there is anyone who worked at tonibell ice cream depot in 70s-80s i would be pleased to hear from anyone bw keith nock

31.  George Moody
Posted by Alan Email User on 26/10/2011, 10:15 pm
George Moody fan...Thought I'd share this
What a surprise to me, found some George Moody tracks on "The Best of Country" and "Line Dance Session" on iTunes, was good to hear him again I then searched Google and was led to U Tube and some superb clips of George playing with the Country Squires, and one in particular I liked, "Bunch of Thyme"

First saw George at the Century Cinema Pitsea Essex many years ago (early to mid-sixty's) between films, he played and sung on his own and the audience loved him! ... it was not a venue that took prisoners and many an artist did not fare so well, it was a brave band or artist that took to that stage!! ... but George no problem, all alone and got such respect bless him.

Whenever I got the chance over many years I would listen to George playing in local venues always a pleasure and such a gentle man he regularly got a mention and a song on Steve Cherells's country music show on BBC Essex, he is a great loss to country music fans, and is sadly missed by all.

To his Family God Bless ... Alan

Re: George Moody
Posted by keith nock Email User on 27/10/2011, 12:24 pm
hi alan i remember george moody playing in prince of wales pub in wash rd laindon what a great singer

32.  Friends
Posted by Gloria Muir Email User on 28/10/2011, 9:31 pm
Does anyone know the whereabouts of David Rand a dunton plotland dweller a Laindon motorbike boy Freddy Rands brother or Sandy Legg who was married to Freddy love to get in touch with any of the Rand family my grandkids want to meet thier auntys and uncles Gloria Muir was Rand single name sewell

Re: Friends
Posted by Andrea Email User on 28/10/2011, 10:32 pm
Hi Gloria; this is a copy of Vic Wiles' tribute to Fred; hopefully this will help you in your search for Sandy?

Re: In Memory of Fred Rand
Posted by Vic Wiles on 17/4/2009, 12:17 pm, in reply to "Re: In Memory of Fred Rand"

I spoke to Freds wife on the telephone yesterday and she said the site and being able to contact old friends from many years ago made him very happy so thanks from her and from me a friend of a mere 48 years Vic Wiles

Posted by Sandie Email User on 8/11/2011, 6:33 am
hi Gloria
my Freddie passed away 13th April 2009 totally lost without him after 40 plus years. Hope you are well.
love Sandie

Posted by gloria muir Email User on 8/11/2011, 9:20 am
Hello Sandie so wonderful to hear from you after all these years, i am so sorry about Fred he was one of my teenage busom pals as you know, he had his own built in laughter machine i am so glad you two stayed happy together all this time i will be in touch soon love Gloria

Posted by david rand Email User on 9/11/2011, 9:06 pm
ANY BODY REMEMBERS ME PLEASE CONTACT.

Posted by gloria muir Email User on 10/11/2011, 7:36 am
Hi David i hope your the same david i have been seaching for, i do hope so, do you remember the road we lived in on the Pouind Lane estate Gloria

Posted by david rand Email User on 10/11/2011, 7:44 am
yes i am the one you are looking for, we had a son
a.d rand,dob 10-1 61,does this help.
regards david.

Posted by gloria muir Email User on 10/11/2011, 7:54 am
nearly mate, 12 1 61 not bad after all these years, how are you, well i hope, you have 2 grandkids and one gt grandaughter hope this is a nice suprise, Tony has done very well got a farm in France my E.Mail muirgj@hotmail.co.uk x

Posted by david rand Email User on 10/11/2011, 8:35 am
THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION.
DAVID.

Posted by gloria muir Email User on 10/11/2011, 8:55 am
Man of few words....

Posted by david rand Email User on 10/11/2011, 9:39 am
I AM KEEPING WELL, ITS NICE TO SEE TONY HAS DONE
WELL, WHERE IN FRANCE IS TONY, WHAT PART?
DAVID.

Posted by gloria muir Email User on 10/11/2011, 10:33 am
Hello again, Tony's farms is in Chassonon near limoges Airport, He bought it as run down, takes after you on the building side he has rebuilt it all his self, Would you like his E.Mail address if you mail me i will give it to you I know he would love to hear from you ...

Posted by david rand Email User on 10/11/2011, 12:42 pm
HI,
TONY E.MAIL ADDRESS WOULD BE NICE, ITS BEEN ABOUT
30 YRS SINCE I HAVE SEEN HIM.
DAVID.

Posted by gloria muir Email User on 11/11/2011, 8:59 am
hello again David i have told Tony you are on this site, anyway hows things with you did you have any more kids i had twins they are 36 now all doing well, I now live in suffolk do a lot on the Laindon Archives site interesting especialy the Motorbike boys bit bye now Gloria

Posted by david rand Email User on 11/11/2011, 9:36 am
hi gloria,
i have got a step daughter,aged 19,when tony has
the time an e.mail would be nice.
david.

Posted by gloria muir Email User on 11/11/2011, 7:35 pm
Hello again David this is Tonys E.Mail adress he would like to hear from you, he cant send you one as he has not got your E.Mail adress tonyjanerand@gmail.com bye for now Gloria

Posted by david rand Email User on 11/11/2011, 8:16 pm
HI GLORIA,
THANKS TONY E.MAIL ADDRESS,I HAVE ASKED HIM FOR
A PHONE NUMBER,WE SHOULD HAVE A LOT TO TALK
ABOUT AFTER 30 YEARS.
DAVID.

Posted by Andrea Email User on 13/11/2011, 7:16 pm
Gloria; I am really pleased that you through Basildon History site you have been put in touch with Sandy and David - great result for Tony after all these years.

Next Gloria I hope you will be able to be put in touch with your old pal VERONICA NIGHTINGALE - I am sure someone will do this for you. Good luck xx

Posted by gloria muir Email User on 11/12/2011, 6:35 pm
Hello again David so glad you and Tony have been in touch after all this time it appears he is very pleased ..Have you managed to find any of your brothers and sisters. I am in touch with a few of the old motor bike boys. Do you remember the little boy i took care of for Eddie and Josie (Paul) been in touch with them waiting to hear from Brian Reynoulds do you recall him. Any way bye for now have a good christmas .Gloria

Posted by david rand Email User on 11/12/2011, 7:47 pm
HI GLORIA,
IT WAS NICE TO TALK TO TONY, BRIAN REYNOLDS IS IN
OZ,SO I AM TOLD, I FOUND MY 2 BROTHERS, MY SISTER
HAS PASSED AWAY.
DAVID.

Posted by gloria muir Email User on 13/12/2011, 7:25 pm
So sorry to hear about your sister nice to know you got back to your brothers. Hope you are pleased to know Tony has done so well strange you are so alike in what your interests are after all these years Jane has just gone back to France after her annual xmas shopping trip ,\I hope to get over to see them in the spring, you and your family enjoy your xmas ..

Posted by gloria sewell on 7/1/2012, 8:33 pm
hello David i have also been touch with Sandy though this site waiting to hear that will be nice I do believe Fred has passed on now Gloria

33.  Old photos of Vange
Posted by Caroline Brand Email User on 6/11/2011, 9:25 pm
Does anyone have any old photos (1950's) of Bellevue Drive area of Vange especially regarding bungalows named Charmaine and Annie that they could share please?

Re: Old photos of Vange
Posted by Andrea Email User on 9/11/2011, 8:56 pm
Hi Caroline, whilst I can't help you with photos, I am just wondering if it would help if you sent a letter into the Basildon ECHO newspaper readers' letters. There are some older Vange folk who read that paper and it may prompt them to help you out.
Good luck.

Posted by Caroline Email User on 9/11/2011, 10:14 pm
Thanks for that hadn't thought about putting it in the paper.

Posted by Charles Jack Fisher Email User on 10/11/2011, 9:49 am
Hi Caroline
I have not got any photos that you ask for but I thought you would like to know that I was born in Carmaine in 1938.

Posted by caroline brand Email User on 10/11/2011, 9:29 pm
How long did you live there? My husband's grandparents lived there until the new town was being set up but we have no idea when they moved there.

Posted by Charles Jack Fisher Email User on 11/11/2011, 9:29 am
Hi Caroline
My family lived in Charmaine for 5 years. 9 months after I was born in 1938 they moved to Moores Avenue the other side of the railway off Fobbing High Rd. So I dont remember any thing of Charmaine.

Posted by Vic Wiles on 12/11/2011, 1:01 pm
I remember a Harry Brand also Jim and Anne Smith and a blonde lady called sissy the bungalows were owned by Emily Pratt who ran a cafe opposite Millwal Docks

Posted by Caroline Brand Email User on 12/11/2011, 9:23 pm
Hi vic
Harry and sissy are my husbands aunt and uncle and Ann and jim his grandparents. He has memories of them living there but would love a photo which is why I'm trying to locate one for him. Thanks for replying.

Posted by Caroline brand Email User on 26/11/2011, 10:15 am
Been talking to uncle Harry and he remembers you and says if he remembers correctly your father owned the coal merchants.

Posted by Vic Wiles on 26/11/2011, 1:09 pm
High Caroline Tell uncle Harry l said hello I also remember him when he worked at Rotary Hoes
Vic Wiles

Posted by DAVID GRIGGS Email User on 2/12/2011, 8:54 pm
Vic Wiles
Are you the son whose Mum & Dad used to own the coal merchants next to Rashleigh Drive.
I used to visit my grandparents in Rashleigh Drive in the school holidays and always played with a boy named Victor Wiles. My good memories of this is riding on the back of his Dad's coal truck going to Pitsea station. If this is you I would love to hear from you.

Posted by Vic Wiles on 3/12/2011, 1:15 pm
Hi David you have the right person, great to hear from you, will email you soon Vic Wiles

34.  Eddie Morris (Ernie Morris)
Posted by Brian Slaughter Email User on 21/11/2011, 4:49 am
Hi ya Eddie, are you the Eddie that had a cafe at the Fortune of War, and had a truck, Thames Trader i think? you would not remember me but used to come in the cafe a bit with who i cannot remember, but would have been getting on for 50 years ago. I have been living in Sydney for 36 years, and still go back every few years. Caught up with Fred Rand a few years ago after over 40 years, and now he has gone sadly, the same as so many, all the best Brian Slaughter

Re: Eddie Morris (Ernie Morris)
Posted by gloria muir Email User on 11/12/2011, 6:44 pm
Hello Brian i am in touch with Eddie in Australia dont think this is the same Eddie i will ask for you, i remember you though My single name is Gloria Sewell i married David Rand Freds brother i have a photo of you and all the boys to name a few Brian Cordell, Billy Finch, Mick Richards, Stan Parrish, Ernie Byron Fred Sewell is my brother bye now Gloria Muir (Sewell)

Posted by Vic Wiles on 12/12/2011, 2:06 pm
Hi Brian I think you mean Ernie Morris the cafe was known as dirty erns, you was most probably with Mick the Umph Merry Christmas Vic Wiles

Posted by Brian Slaughter Email User on 12/1/2012, 12:59 am
Thanks Gloria & Vic, i think i have the names mixed up (old age) i think it might have been Ernie Morris, long time ago, but thanks for your response, and for your e-mails Vic. All the best to you all, Brian Slaughter

35.  Asda
Posted by pam in sidari Email User on 21/11/2011, 11:55 pm
what was there before asda in pipps hill?

Re: Asda
Posted by Admin (Bill) on 22/11/2011, 10:11 am
The site of Asda and the surrounding retail park was once residential. Basildon Road ran roughly through the centre and off that ran Bracken Mount which had many detached properties (bungalows). The area that became the retail park was cleared for future development by the 1960s but left undeveloped and overgrown until about 1982 when the road linking Upper Mayne with Miles Gray Road (Burches) was constructed and the Campanile hotel eventually opened. The rest of the land was then finally developed in the late 1980s early 1990s when the Heron Retail Park (now called Pipps Hill Retail Park) was constructed. Asda originally occupied a different unit now used by DFS furniture store and was called Dales before moving to their present location sometime in the 1990s. A short section of Basildon Road still exists off Upper Mayne.

Re: Asda
Posted by Robin Lockhart on 22/11/2011, 2:33 pm
Hi, I remember Bracken mount very well. Before I was married my wife lived in one of those bungalows until 1963.

36.  Laindon High Road as it now is
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 1/12/2011, 4:29 pm
Last Sunday, I visited Laindon, and on my way back home again, drove the length of the High Road, finding much of it now to my disgust.

By the time I got back home again, I could so easily have cried at what I saw and where the school used to stand, vowing not to return in a hurry.

Re: Laindon High Road as it now is
Posted by keith nock Email User on 1/12/2011, 8:52 pm
hi brian i was born in laindon and and went to laindon high rd school i live in eastwood now but come to laindon quite a bit its hard to see all the changes none for the better i remember watching shopping centre being built look at the state it is in now i think we had the best days of laindon like you said brian it makes you want to cry

Posted by brian baylis Email User on 27/2/2012, 8:13 am
I visited Laindon again last week, but sadly to attend a funeral. While there I took photo's of where the school once stood, then upon getting back home, sent them to my brother and he had No idea the school had even been torn down, let alone those UGLY houses, etc., replacing it.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 29/3/2012, 8:50 am
It was bad enough replacing laindon High Road School, to replace it with all those houses.

Now where the Laindon Hotel stood, an application has been made to build a KFC on the site, having it open 24/7.

I hope it DOESN'T get approved.

Posted by Brian Slaughter Email User on 12/4/2012, 1:58 am
I had no idea the school had gone, although i never attended the school, as i lived in Billericay, i had a long connection with the youth centre at the school, and had many a good time in the early 1960s, it was a mad house, but we certainly had a good time. Sad to see things change, as i can remember the high rd from the early 50s as my dad had a shop opposite Durham Rd. I would much prefer the hotel to a KFC, whatever next.

37.  East Anglian Film Archive
Posted by Andrea Email User on 11/12/2011, 7:36 pm
I have only just discovered E.A.F.A. and found it amazing. There is 200 hours of free East Anglian film to watch. I have been blown away with BASILDON OUR TOWN filmed by Woodlands School in 1974. Can't believe the changes; so much gone, so much built and fashions of clothes and styles vehicles - well! Have a look!

Re: East Anglian Film Archive
Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 13/12/2011, 5:52 am
Hi Andrea checked out the website as you suggested last night(south australia time). You are right, its very interesting indeed. I havent been back to Basildon since 1993 having emigrated in 1971 so i can only guess at the changes since then as well.regards Dave Oakley.

Posted by Andrea Email User on 13/12/2011, 7:56 am
Hi Dave; glad you found that site. I hope someone here might have the camera gear, expertise and time to retrace these places and show everyone just how it looks now. (Some areas would be quite unrecognisable). Regards.

Posted by keith nock Email User on 13/12/2011, 11:05 am
hi andrea what a good website brought back some memories thanks

Posted by brian baylis Email User on 18/12/2011, 11:20 pm
Did any of you notice the two mistakes in the write-up after it?

A DIESEL can be seen when in actual fact it was an ELECTRIC.
Then passengers supposedly alighting a train at Basildon station, when in fact it IS LAINDON.

Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 19/12/2011, 5:37 am
Well done Brian, obviously the passing years have not dimmed either your eyesight or intellect.---Dave o.cool.gif

Posted by Geoff Andrews Email User on 19/3/2012, 7:25 pm
Hi, I live in South Australia too. Wondered what School you went too and if I knew you?
I attended St Margarets School and Craylands Secondary up to 1963 and lived off Pound Lane Pitsea.

38.  christmas greetings
Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 24/12/2011, 3:01 am
A very merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all associated with this site,-- regards Dave O.

Click here for January - June 2011 entries

blank.gif
Page added: 2012
blank.gif
blank.gif
Back a Page Basildon History Forum Basildon History Forum Archive Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM