blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Vange
blank.gif

Timberlog Lane


blank.gif
Basildon Bridge, Vange Timberlog Lane, Vange Timberlog Lane, Vange
blank.gif
Location: Timberlog Lane
Year of photo: circa 1909
Copyright: N/A
Source: Commercial Postcard
Comments: Timberlog Lane at the junction with Bull Road.
Location: Timberlog Lane
Year of photo: circa 1909
Copyright: N/A
Source: Commercial Postcard
Comments: Railway bridge at the junction with Bull Road.
Location: Timberlog Lane
Year of photo: circa 1930
Copyright: N/A
Source: Commercial Postcard
Comments: The railway bridge at Timberlog Lane looking towards Luncies Road.
blank.gif
Timberlog Lane, Vange Gales Corner, Vange Timberlog Lane, Vange
blank.gif
Location: Timberlog Lane
Year of photo: circa 1920
Copyright: N/A
Source: Commercial Postcard
Comments: Railway Bridge and Timberlog Lane.
Location: Timberlog Lane
Year of photo: circa 1930
Copyright: N/A
Source: Commercial Postcard
Comments: Gales corner shop at the junction of Bull Road and Timberlog Lane.
Location: Timberlog Lane
Year of photo: circa 1912
Copyright: N/A
Source: Commercial Postcard
Comments: Hope Hall can be seen in the foreground. Gordon Hall can be seen further back.
blank.gif
Timberlog Lane, Vange Timberlog Lane, Vange Timberlog Lane, Vange
blank.gif
Location: Timberlog Lane
Photographer: Unknown
Year of photo: circa 1910
Copyright: N/A
Source: Commercial Postcard
Comments: Gordon Hall with Hope Hall in the distance.
Location: Timberlog Lane
Photographer: Unknown
Year of photo: circa 1930
Copyright: N/A
Source: Commercial Postcard
Comments: Gordon Hall, Timberlog Lane, named after General Gordon.
Location: Timberlog Lane
Photographer: Unknown
Year of photo: circa 1935
Copyright: N/A
Source: Commercial Postcard
Comments: Bungalows facing Timberlog Lane.
blank.gif

Timberlog Lane from at least the early part of the 20th century was one of the longest roads in pre-new town Basildon. The road formed a continuation of Nevendon Road from a junction with Burnt Mills Road in Nevendon to the junction with High Road/London Road at Vange.

It maintained this course until the 1960s when its length was shortened to form a new junction with Clay Hill Road, which had in 1963 been extended over the course of Bull Road. The southern section from the new junction to the Barge public house was subsequently renamed Clay Hill Road in 1964. Later in the 1960s further changes occurred when the section between Nevendon Road and Broadmayne, which ran in front of Craylands senior school was renamed Craylands. The original junction with Broadmayne was later closed off and realigned.

A small section of the original route still remains as an access road to Barstable School (now the Lower Academy), with this being renamed Timberlog Close when a new straight section to a new permanent junction with Broadmayne (A1321) was constructed.

The importance of the route the road took was acknowledged when it was designated route B1419, probably sometime before the second world war.

Page added: 2006
blank.gif
Other points of interest:

(1) Timberlog Lane's B1418 designation no longer applies to any of its former course having been removed some time in the 1970s.

Text researched and written 2006 with revisions 2007.
Copyright © 2006-2007, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.

Copyright
Unless otherwise specified, all photographs appearing on the Basildon History website, are the sole property of Basildon History Online and are protected by copyrights and laws. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, upload, transmit, republish, post, publicly display, prepare derivative works based on, or distribute in any way Basildon History's own material without first receiving written permission. You may download photographs, images and text provided it is for your own personal non-commercial home use.

Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Vange Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM