blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Regional Shopping Centres
blank.gif

Vange: (1) Church Road and Clay Hill Road


blank.gif
Regional Shopping centre
blank.gif
Location:
Photographer:
Year of photo:
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments:
blank.gif

Church Road
The three shop units at Church Road were built and opened in 1954. The development corporation considered them pantry shops and built others at Pendle Drive, Whitmore Way and Luncies Road.

Below are some of the traders past and present to have occupied the units.

Church RoadOpenClosed
No. 1P.D. Green (Peter Derek Green)
Foodstore
Grocery Store
Foodstore
1954
 
1970s
 
No. 3Grays Co-operative Society Ltd. (Co-op)
Monk Washeteria
Foodstore
Launderette
Pre-1962
--
--
 
No. 5Martin's
M.S. Newsagents
Newsagents and Confectioners
Newsagents and Confectioners
1954
 
 
 

Bull Parade
The neighbourhood centre at Vange was built to replace the existing shops in Bull Road (later renamed Clay Hill Road) which were considered sub-standard. Approval for the development, which would include 34 houses, 24 flats and up to 41 garages, was given by the Minister of Housing & Local Government in June 1960, although work on the shops did not proceed until 1962. They were completed in 1963.

Eight shop units formed the core development with the addition of a public house and a small single-storey detached shop (No. 467), built to rear of the main parade.

Future development included a library and health centre.

Some of the many businesses past and present can be seen below.

Clay Hill RoadOpenClosed
No. 453V.G. Foodstore (Mr. W.D.J. Wright & Son)
Taste of Bombay
Groceries
Take-away
1964
2000s
1970s
 
No. 455J.C.P. Travel Holidays
Heidi (Mrs. Heidi Johnson)
Wing Soon
Travel Agent
International Hair Stylists
Take-away
1964
1970s
2000s
c.1970s
 
 
No. 457H. Morrell
R.L. Statham
Ladbrokes
Greengrocer and fruiterer
Greengrocer and fruiterer
Betting shop
1964
1960s
2000s
1960s
c.1980s
 
No. 459Seely (J.G.H. Seely)
Bargain Booze
Butchers
Off-Licence
c. /02/1964
2000
/12/1999
 
No. 461W. Beaumont
Bargain Booze
Newsagent
Off-Licence
1964
c.2000
c.1980s
 
No. 463Basildon Electrical Service
Odds and Cods
Electrical appliances
Take-away
c.1964
2010s
c.1970s
 
No. 465Basildon Development Corporation
Conduit
Wind & McCready
Vantage
Barstable and Vange District Office
Dispensing Chemist
Dispensing Chemist
Dispensing Chemist
1964
 
c.1975
 
1960s
1970s
 
 
No. 467R.H. Dearing (Ronald Dearing)
Video Track
Farm Pizza
Shoe repairs
Videos and video game rentals
Take-away and delivery Pizza service
1964
c.1980s
2000s
c.1980s
c.2000s
 
No. 469The Bull/PowerhousePublic house and off licence19611998
blank.gif
Page added: 2013
blank.gif
Other points of interest:
(1) Seely's butchers, run by Jess Seely, were another family run business previously based at 48 High Road, Vange from 1934 to around 1967.

(2) J.C.P. Travel Holidays were previously based at 7 High Road, Vange from 1958 to c.1964.

(3) Conduit was George Conduit who previously traded at 66 High Road, Vange.

Text researched and written by William Cox, 2013.
Copyright © 2013, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.

Copyright
Unless otherwise specified, all photographs appearing on the Basildon History website, are the sole property of Basildon History Online and are protected by copyrights and laws. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, upload, transmit, republish, post, publicly display, prepare derivative works based on, or distribute in any way Basildon History's own material without first receiving written permission. You may download photographs, images and text provided it is for your own personal non-commercial home use.

Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Basildon Shops Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM