The miniature gauge railway opened in 1988 and runs for a length of approximately 1 mile (1.2 km)
having recently been extended in 2012 almost to the park's entrance. Its original length was
1200 yards and is entirely laid on flat land with no gradients.
It is diesel operated, the train running on 10.25" gauge rails. The train is
called The Goyle and numbered 31327.
In the early years of operation the train used
was called St. Albans Comet, manufactured in 1969 and in use at Verulamium Park, St. Albans, Hertfordshire
until the late 1970s when it was acquired for use at Basildon Zoo. When the zoo closed it was transferred
to Wat Tyler and renamed Western Courier until around 2005 when it reverted to its original
The line runs from the rear of the Motorboat Museum (since closed and now the Green
Centre) where the station is called Grand Central, crossing the main vehicle access road and continuing
to the rear of Holly Cottage to the Marina station terminus adjacent to Holehaven Creek. There
is a small turntable and run-around loop there.
The railway closed in July 2005 when the original
driver and operator passed away. It was re-opened briefly the following year by the owner of Pool
Park Miniature Railway before re-opening again in July 2007 and has remained open ever since.
In July 2008 a 500 metre extension was approved by Basildon Council to run from Grand Central Station
to the park gates, where the line loops to a station thereby alleviating the need for a turntable or uncoupling of the locomotive.
The railway is run by private
company Go Bonkers who took over in June 2007.