blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
    You are here: Forum Archive

blank.gif
Forum Archive
blank.gif
2012 Forum Threads - July to December

All forum threads posted between 2002 and 2013 have now been removed from the original forum (message board) and archived under their original entry title.

It is not possible to post a direct response to these entries but you can use the contact page to post a message, which can then be added to an archived entry.

You can of course begin a new thread at any time by posting to the current forum.

View or post to the current forum

2012 entries
Click here for January - June entries.
Please be aware contact e-mail addresses of some entries may no longer be valid.

24) Clarke Chapman - John Thompson factory - 5 replies.
25) Marney Drive, Pitsea
26) Vange Well No.5
27) Old Laindon - 6 replies.
28) Searching for person in children's home
29) Kids nursery in Pitsea - 1 reply.
30) Christmas 2012 - 2 replies.
blank.gif
24.  Clarke Chapman - John Thompson factory
Posted by Jo Cullen Email User on 14/7/2012, 6:51 am
Can anyone help? I am trying to find out any information on this factory, which was on Paycocke Road. Could be 1950s or 1960s. I believe it was an engineering firm. Jo

Re: Clarke Chapman - John Thompson factory
Posted by Rosemary Email User on 15/9/2013, 6:53 pm
I've only just come across this post but if information is still needed please let me know. My father worked there from the early 1950s and became factory manager until the early/mid 1970s.

Posted by Jo Cullen Email User on 16/9/2013, 7:45 am
Hi Yes I belong to a group called Basildon Heritage and we are trying to build up information about all the early factories in the NEW TOWN. This particular factory came up as a query when someone was trying to put a history to the site/building and could not find anything. If you have any information I would be pleased to hear from you. I am happy for you to contact us. If you go to the site for Basildon Heritage our contact numbers are there.

Posted by Bob Linard Email User on 28/9/2013, 7:34 pm
I worked at Clarke Chapman - John Thompson in the '70s. The company produced tankers for the collection of milk from farms etc. They also produced tankers for transporting fuel, oil and beer in bulk. I remember that on one occasion a tanker came in for repair that had been carrying chocolate, and there was still some left inside! The Company employed a wide range of tradesmen, fitters, welders, boilermakers, sheet metal workers and electricians etc. There were lots of characters there and I enjoyed my time working with them.

Posted by Rosemary Taylor Email User on 13/10/2013, 5:20 pm
We moved to Basildon in 1952 as part of the new towns initiative. We were one of three houses built in Denecourt Crescent and remained the only three for some time. The gardens weren't fenced, we were surrounded by fields and the roads were barely finished.

My father worked in Rotherhithe, London for Darhams Industries. It moved to Basildon on the new industrial estate in Paycock Road. Darhams Industries was taken over by John Thompsons in the mid/late 50s. It became Clarke Chapman-John Thompson I believe in the early 60s.
My Dad Tom Taylor started there as a sheet metal worker making steel road container tanks. He became foreman and later Factory Manager leaving there in the early 70s.
Darhams Indutries were very family orientated and held wonderful Christmas parties for all the children and had a good social club that organsised theatre trips.

Posted by jo cullen Email User on 13/10/2013, 5:23 pm
Hi Thanks for the info Jo

25.  Marney Drive, Pitsea
Posted by frederick thomas carpenter Email User on 7/8/2012, 10:06 am
trying to contact either robert long of marney drive pitsea or victor broughton long lost relatives from canning town

26.  Vange Well No.5
Posted by Jim Reeve Email User on 16/7/2012, 5:12 pm
I am trying to contact Thomas Barnes to ask him for permission to use his photograph of Vange Well 5 in my book Basildon Then and Now. Thank you Jim Reeve

27.  Old Laindon
Posted by Brian Slaughter Email User on 10/8/2012, 1:22 am
I was born in 1945 and lived my first five and a half years in Hotwater Lane Laindon, and I think our house was where the Police Station is now in Basildon. We had a long walk from Laindon to home, past the side of Churchill & Johnson the builders merchant down an unmade road even unpassable in the summer, but with a concrete path along its full length. Part of the way it followed the railway, and with a bit of luck we would have the joy of a steam train going past, although I don't think mum was as thrilled as myself.

Although we moved to Kennel Lane in Billericay after being compulsory purchased by the Basildon Corporation in 1951, I kept close ties with Laindon as Dad owned the Paramount Electrical & Radio Stores in Laindon High Road directly opposite Durham Road. I believe the two shops opposite are still there, the one on the corner was Greens Stores and can remember seeing the cheese being cut on the board with a wire, and all the big tins of loose biscuits, the shop seemed to be so big then, and next door was a newspaper shop with very large jars of sweets, heaven for us little kids.

I can remember the glass accumulaters dad used to charge for peoples radios before the dry batteries were on the market, it seemed to be a busy business in those days. I used to be out and about a lot with Dad, from Pitsea, Langdon Hills and all the back roads in between, and visited so many little wooden houses miles from the main roads most without water and sewage or telephone, and when you needed a doctor it was a long way to get help, particularly in the winter months. I can remember very clearly when the second TV channel came and dad had to fix a converter box on all the older TVs as they were only made for the BBC, it was a huge job, luckily he had me to help!!!, but I think I was a good help, even helping with the TV ariels on the roofs, only single storeys though.

Next door was Tom Card the fish monger, and I remember the smell of the kippers being smoked, and the fish & chips on Friday night, wonderful memories, and Laindon was a wonderful place, I remember it well with fondness and sadness.

Brian Slaughter
Sydney Australia

Re: Old Laindon
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 4/9/2012, 5:06 pm
Hello Brian, thank you for the wonderful memory of my time at Laindon, and I daresay I went into your dad's shop to get my parents accumulator charged. Mum always bought live eels from Tommy Card, and I can to this day remember him pulling up outside and reving the engine before turning the ignition off.

Posted by Andrea (nee Pinnell) Email User on 21/9/2012, 3:09 pm
Hi Brian, I liked your memories of old Laindon - being born two years before you in Denbigh Road which was very near Laindon station. I used to take our accumulators up to your Dad's shop. I can remember what he looked like. This may sound mad, but I seem to think that we kids found a dump inbetween Denbigh and Durham Roads and on it was a smashed up accumulator; we picked up its contents of hard, black tar-looking stuff, broke it into small bits and CHEWED IT! I would have thought that the clear liquid in the accumulator would have been acid - I really don't know!

Posted by Andrea (nee Pinnell) Email User on 21/9/2012, 3:15 pm
Brian, I remember Greens Stores because my mum worked in there; the newspaper shop next door was Reed's and I think it was run by brothers Donald and David?

Posted by Brian Slaughter Email User on 5/10/2012, 2:01 am
I am glad there is someone out there who still remembers the old Laindon, and it was a wonderful place. Being naughty, i remember waiting for the girls from the hairdresser up the road to walk by, wow they looked so good to a young bloke, but will say no more, one of them was my friends sister, Les Webb, and she was gorgeous as well. also do remember the live eels in Tom Cards fishmonger next door. Great memories

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 5/11/2012, 7:55 am
My new Fiance' & I revisited laindon on Saturday, and were DISGUSTED at the state of the place now, with just a couple of original shop buildings still standing, but under different look.

YUK!

I would NOT move back to Laindon rent FREE as I hate the look of it now.

Posted by Richard Bristow Email User on 19/7/2013, 8:53 am
I lived in Pound Lane in Laindon in 1945 (aged 5) in a row of white cottages, which I believe used to belong to my Grandfather (George Bristow) who had a big White House on the Arterial Rd. We used to have a bonfire on the corner block every Guy Fawkes night, Lionel Hyatt used to make the Fireworks throughout the year, the Hyatt's lived in Pound Lane on the other side of the main highway, one of our treats was to go to Pitsea and get home made ice cream from the Hyatt's who sold it on the side of the road.

I dont think I would like to see the town now, from what I have read, plus I have lived in Australia for 50 yrs. Everyone has passed away or moved on.

28.  Searching for person in children's home
Posted by Charlotte Lilly Email User on 20/10/2012, 3:09 pm
When my mum was 4 she was put into care and whilst there she met a girl named Hazel who had a sister named Gillian and two brothers. This girl was like a sister to my mum and my mum would love to reunite with her. She is about 48 years of age now and the children's home was at 95 Luncies Road, Basildon however I know it's not there anymore. Can you help us find this lady?! Thank you!

29.  Kids nursery in Pitsea
Posted by Rich Email User on 21/10/2012, 1:30 pm
Does anyone remember before the flats were built next to tesco's, a kids play centre or nursery that used to be on the site? I'm talking very early 80's.

Re: Kids nursery in Pitsea
Posted by Bill on 14/3/2014, 9:08 pm
Hi, it sounds like you might be describing the Chestnut Centre. It was on the corner of Chestnut Road before the Perfecto Health Club. It was either run by the council or the development corporation. Not sure when it was demolished, perhaps mid to late 1980s or early '90s.

30.  Christmas 2012
Posted by dave oakley Email User on 24/12/2012, 7:25 am
I know the trend is to wish everyone to have a "happy holiday" but i am going to continue to wish that every one has a very ""MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR"".---regards Dave Oakley.grin.gif

Re: Christmas 2012
Posted by Admin on 24/12/2012, 7:38 am
On behalf on all involved with Basildon History I'd like to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year.
Best Wishes, Bill (Admin)

Re: Christmas 2012
Posted by Christine Hutchings (nee Olive) Email User on 1/1/2013, 8:53 am
Thank goodness someone still wishes a Happy Christmas!! Happy holidays is an Americanism we can do without!!
Best wishes for 2013 to you too

Click here for January - June 2012 entries

blank.gif
Page added: 2011
blank.gif
blank.gif
Back a Page Basildon History Forum Basildon History Forum Archive Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM